Concerns over Ponderosa Pine

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had this pondy now for about two months. It is still green, exactly like I purchased it except one very small branch tip that was wired with extreme twist which probably caused its demise. This is of no concern to me and is very incidental to the more serious concern. The candles have not elongated at all whereas nearly all my other pines have finished this process. I spent an embarrassing amount for this tree because I like the design features and it is my first Ponderosa. Now I have a major concern with its reluctance to grow and I am looking for advice on how to ensure its survival.
IMG_7687.JPGIMG_7685.JPG

No doubt you do have its position right but just incase, I had to move a jbp while I did some work in the garden and it got less sun in its temp location which caused needle elongation to stall,

Now its back in full sun it is growing again

Maybe it had more sun in sellers location or climate difference?

No doubt you do have its position right but just incase, I had to move a jbp while I did some work in the garden and it got less sun in its temp location which caused needle elongation to stall,

Now its back in full sun it is growing again

I read they are intolerant of shade, so full sun would be best.

Probably not much you can do except make sure it is getting good sun and appropriate amount of water. Definitely not a good sign that it didn’t put on any new growth this year.

Sorry to hear that it’s having a hard time!

I'm leaning toward this ☝️
Where did it come from, and when?

Ponderosa are evolved for altitudes and humidity that are the exact opposite of Port Royal. You can't possibly give it too much sun, or heat. If it came to you from a different climate - even just further west near the mountains - it will stall out while it saves resources to deal with whatever it thinks might possibly be coming. In tough times, they can actually do this for years, so even if you've had it all season, you might not see anything move until next season.

Personal notes: I have only one in a pot, but I live where these things are native and have seen them do nutty things in the wild.

Hey penumbra. I have a large Ponderosa that I collected this last fall. I got an excellent root ball. It was very confident that it would survive. It looked fine all winter and going into the spring stayed green. But as of yet, there are no candles or new growth extending but all of the branches are still flexible and the needle still green. The terminal buds all still look viable. Actually, they just haven’t extend it. I’m just giving it as much Son as I can continuing to water as needed and watching. I’m really hoping that it is just shutting down for the year. We’ll get going again next spring. But we will see. Hopefully the same thing is going on with yours. Best of luck.

Edit. This entire message was dictated. So if it reads weird, that’s why. Lol.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. Much food for thought.

I know absolutely zero about pines but understand the concern over a tree that you splurged on that is not thriving. 🤞for you @penumbra.

There’s absolutely no reason to have any embarrassment with what you spent on it. It’s your money, spend it however you want to.

As for the needles not pushing; if the tree is doing fine otherwise(showing no negative symptoms), I wouldn’t panic yet. My Pondo(s) were the last to elongate needles and I thought they were late until I attended ABS couple weeks ago and there were a lot of trees that were barely pushing. The micro climate(even within a general zone) can definitely make a huge difference. Full sun, allow the soil to dry a little more and give it time; pondos are slow water mobility trees.

I am no ponderosa pine expert but I can speak from experience with have 2 ponderosas, I don’t water them often ans needed ever 2 -3 days and in a position that gets 8-10 hours of sun. Is it at all possible to get it in an area that gets more than 6 hours of sun in your back yard? Maybe I missed but what’s your watering routine ? You’re down further in VA so I imagine more humid even compared to PA, try tilting it to get more rapid drainage next time you water. best of luck , it is a nice tree.

I am no ponderosa pine expert but I can speak from experience with have 2 ponderosas, I don’t water them often ans needed ever 2 -3 days and in a position that gets 8-10 hours of sun. Is it at all possible to get it in an area that gets more than 6 hours of sun in your back yard? Maybe I missed but what’s your watering routine ? You’re down further in VA so I imagine more humid even compared to PA, try tilting it to get more rapid drainage next time you water. best of luck , it is a nice tree.
My conditions are nearly perfect, unless you want sun all day. I have some sunny spots but the only place I get 8 hours or more is in my one exposed lawn area or my meadow where the deer, bear and other critters roam. The mix the pine is in is very coarse and water exits the bottom microseconds after it hits the surface.
I think its location is about the best I've got for sunlight where I can also keep a watchful eye on it. My main concern is that ponderosa are new to me and I don't know if it can survive a season without new growth, I have no idea how long the existing needles last and whether they are at the end of there cycle or somewhere in the middle.
Not freaking yet.

My main concern is that ponderosa are new to me and I don't know if it can survive a season without new growth, I have no idea how long the existing needles last and whether they are at the end of there cycle or somewhere in the middle.
Based on my limited experience with my two yamadori ponderosas: Can they survive a season with no new growth? Yes, but it's not ideal. How long will the existing needles last? In your first pic it looks like there are some super short needles back along the branch. These would have have been the new growth pre-collection. The longer needles between those and the new bud were grown after collection, so those should stay on another 2 years or so. Good luck with this lovely pondo. The needles are a healthy green.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. I would, however, ignore the urge to do much wiring, design work on it this year. Let it be for the time being. Learn to water it (or not--ponderosa, from what I've seen--don't like a lot of water) and what it "wants" day to day.

My ponderosa flush out in july when I cut their buds in spring. But they are slow in my climate.
Not that I recommend the practice of bud removal, but it worked out in my favor.
As any pine, it seems, they can be forced to double flush when cut too early.
So I wouldn't give up hope for now.

Back
Top Bottom