Colorado’s Buttonwood

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’d like to share this shohin-sized buttonwood that I’ve been working on for a few years now. 😃

I purchased the tree in early 2021 off Facebook Auctions. Here is a photo of the tree as received:

1300F0E9-5719-4D72-B48A-029DF8B29651.jpeg

I repotted the tree into a Chinese production container, nothing fancy. Here’s the tree a few months later:

42CB49B3-029A-493F-9CA9-639E460AD8F9.jpeg

And again in 2022:

6B65F20E-704B-4EDF-B7EB-5D780BA25ED6.jpeg

I left the tree in that pot until May of 2024 and the tree has been allowed to grow freely for about a year now. Lookin shaggy:

84E5BC83-9094-4DD6-B935-246AA2066034.jpegE4AE066A-ECAC-4991-B189-E0CB9755509E.jpeg

By that time it had grown a great root mass of fine roots. I had used small grain akadama for substrate:

9852E11D-5358-40C0-A167-34C9C14D0071.jpeg

Over the past winter I made 2 pots for the tree, unsure of which would ultimately be a better fit. First I had this cream colored round. I liked how this pot suggested a sandy beach for this coastal species:

FF0082B3-EC5D-43EF-9E15-B49FC02344B0.jpeg

I did like this option….but not as much as I liked option 2. This glazed rectangle suggests the color of the sea. And it fits like a glove!

1596CFFA-B87C-4976-87E7-735065FC9146.jpeg413874E0-C491-4320-B789-6B32EB14AFEA.jpeg

Now I’ll let the tree recover from the repot. In a few weeks I will do a hard cut back to tighten up the branching, which has gotten a little leggy.

P.s. - I don’t allow this tree to experience temps below 50F.

Cheers!

Looks great! I'm jealous as I love tropical's but have no where to put them in winter - the mistress won't let me take of the guest room as a green house 😶‍🌫️

Looks great! I'm jealous as I love tropical's but have no where to put them in winter - the mistress won't let me take of the guest room as a green house 😶‍🌫️

Thanks! I previously had quite a few tropicals, but didn’t have space for all mine over the winter either. This is my only remaining tropical. I just keep it in a windowsill in my home office over the winter. 😃

I’d like to share this shohin-sized buttonwood that I’ve been working on for a few years now. 😃

I purchased the tree in early 2021 off Facebook Auctions. Here is a photo of the tree as received:

View attachment 546564

I repotted the tree into a Chinese production container, nothing fancy. Here’s the tree a few months later:

View attachment 546565

And again in 2022:

View attachment 546566

I left the tree in that pot until May of 2024 and the tree has been allowed to grow freely for about a year now. Lookin shaggy:

View attachment 546568View attachment 546569

By that time it had grown a great root mass of fine roots. I had used small grain akadama for substrate:

View attachment 546567

Over the past winter I made 2 pots for the tree, unsure of which would ultimately be a better fit. First I had this cream colored round. I liked how this pot suggested a sandy beach for this coastal species:

View attachment 546572

I did like this option….but not as much as I liked option 2. This glazed rectangle suggests the color of the sea. And it fits like a glove!

View attachment 546573View attachment 546574

Now I’ll let the tree recover from the repot. In a few weeks I will do a hard cut back to tighten up the branching, which has gotten a little leggy.

P.s. - I don’t allow this tree to experience temps below 50F.

Cheers!
Lovely!

This one is great. You do great work with tropicals, and I hope someday you have a whole hothouse for them.

Wow! Nice work! Not easy in your climate!!!
I really like those square pots. The square glaze pot pairs up with the tree nicely.

Thanks for the kind words!

Oh man, a hothouse for tropicals would be really fun. I’d probably grow some of my tomatoes in there too 😁 maybe someday!

It just got too cold in the garage last year for it...

It just got too cold in the garage last year for it...

Yeah I just keep mine in a windowsill over the winter. I never let it get below 50F…which is a real pain in the ass at 6000 ft elevation in Colorado 🤣.

Right now I’m still shuffling it inside almost every night. There’s only a few months out of the year that I can leave it outside at night. But it’s a tiny little tree, so at least the shuffle is painless! Lol.

This is gorgeous and gives me such hope! I plan to spend at least the next decade in NY, but I'm from a more tropical region originally. I expected not to be able to keep bonsai of any of my favorite hometown trees, but if Colorado can do it, surely NY can do it... with a bit more practice!

This is gorgeous and gives me such hope! I plan to spend at least the next decade in NY, but I'm from a more tropical region originally. I expected not to be able to keep bonsai of any of my favorite hometown trees, but if Colorado can do it, surely NY can do it... with a bit more practice!

Thanks! You can definitely do it :)

Starting with good material is half the battle!

Back
Top Bottom