Collecting new yard seedlings in summer

BonsaiLoudon

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been lucky enough to have a few maple and Persian Silk Tree seedlings start growing in my yard as summer moves on. They seem to have come from seeds dropped by some of my neighbor's trees. I'd like to dig them out and put them in pots. They could frankly use the time in the ground to bulk up, but where they aren't in locations where I can do that. I want to collect them before the roots get entangled with nearby plants.

Is there any concern for collecting them now in the heat of summer? I'd dig as wide as possible to avoid any major root disruption, so my guy says it would be fine to up pot these seedlings. Is my gut right or am I about to kill these little guys?

1000001266.jpg1000001267.jpg

I have done this last 2 summers with no problems. I just have kept in shade for couple weeks to acclimate and I did no root work and I didnt keep soil but was virtually bare rooted as very small root mass at that point and put in a suitable soil medium (perlite & coco coir).

I have done this last 2 summers with no problems. I just have kept in shade for couple weeks to acclimate and I did no root work and I didnt keep soil but was virtually bare rooted as very small root mass at that point and put in a suitable soil medium (perlite & coco coir).

That's a good point about the shade. I think I'll do it here soon then, but slowly transition to my bench. Thanks!

This is about the stage of growth I prick seedlings out of seed trays into individual pots. That is done when I have time and space - right through spring and summer.
Seedlings are pre-programmed to grow roots just in case some bug in the soil makes a meal. They can cope with quite extensive root reduction at this stage of life so I usually take the opportunity to reduce any down roots which will promote laterals.
The maples won't get too carried away over this summer so you could elect to leave those in situ for the summer and transplant in winter/spring. Winter/spring transplant is another time you can do extensive root reduction with little risk so roots getting entangled with nearby plants is not a problem - just cut and lift.

I don't grow Albizzia so not sure of their tolerance to root reduction. Seedlings should be OK with some root loss.

Back
Top Bottom