Collected mycorrhizal fungi (Amanita muscaria)

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does anyone have experience inoculating their soil with these?

1700092574491.jpeg

Found growing underneath Abies procera and Pseudotsuga menziesii.
1700092724202.jpeg

I’d like to incorporate them into a few Abies pots. The plan is to mix collected mycelium soil into bonsai mix and place caps on soil at base of trees. Unless there is a better way…

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never have seen them grow in a pot. If you are going to try in a couple pots with abies. Try leaving the mycelium cake in tact. Or at least as much as possible to get it to colonize the entire pot. Some mycelium don’t do well when they are broken up. Specially in a non sterile setting without abundant resources. You can also leave the mushroom on top of the soil cap down to release spores directly on the soil that has the mycelium.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had something similar pop up under my white oak canopy. Never tried inoculating bonsai soil with it though.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting species--Fly Agaric is a 'magic" mushroom and apparently influenced Christmas traditions...

Yep, that mushroom. My brother is trying to convince me to save the caps for him… How could I just waste them?
Sorry bro, trees come first.

Last edited:

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, that mushroom. My brother is trying to convince me to save the caps for him… How could I just waste them?
Sorry bro, trees come first.
You’re probably doing him a favor. They have to be prepared properly. I’ve read bad stories from people who ate them. As someone really into mycology I’ve never tried. They are edible without psychoactive effects but need to be prepared properly.

Still interesting experiment you are trying. Hope you have success!

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You’re probably doing him a favor. They have to be prepared properly. I’ve read bad stories from people who ate them. As someone really into mycology I’ve never tried. They are edible without psychoactive effects but need to be prepared properly.

Still interesting experiment you are trying. Hope you have success!
He’s consumed them raw before. The result was not pretty.
Everyone knows the best method is to wait for reindeer to eat them first, then drink their piss.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Interesting species--Fly Agaric is a 'magic" mushroom and apparently influenced Christmas traditions...

Fascinating. There's a famous book Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, https://a.co/d/0LHvvKv that I bought 45+ years ago. Amanita muscari was used in shamanic rituals in several Asian cultures from India, to Mongolia, to far eastern Russia and typically only the shaman or priest ingested the mushroom while his adherents drank his urine in hopes of hallucinations and spiritual direction.

Last edited:

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
1700268698086.jpeg

Freshly opened cap attached to mycelium cake planted with Abies.
Bonsai mix is 50/50 pumice-composted fir bark. Wads of collected mycelium-rich soil were placed throughout the mix and directly touching Abies roots.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have inoculated my soils with these and it was succesful in a couple.
Especially my backyard patch layered with pine bark is now plopping naturally grown agaric too.

Best to put the cap on a skewer, about an inch above the soil and just let it sporulate.
Do check the same patch where you collected these in a couple weeks and see if there are any other fungi popping up. I found a bunch of boletes and other mushrooms that seem to like a potted environment too.

I'm pretty decent with mycology but I prefer regular magic mushrooms over anything. Those are easier to dose and they don't require any processing or piss drinking. With agave syrup they don't even taste like old socks in a tea.
The 45 euro grow kits we can buy here provide a person with enough mushrooms for at least 10-20 decent talks to god.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can’t really speak to whether or not you should eat these, but I think what you mentioned above would be the best method:

“Wads of collected mycelium-rich soil were placed throughout the mix”

The mushroom is just the fruit, so you’d be hoping the spores would create that mycelium. I suspect that would be a difficult way to go about it, and starting with the mycelium itself would be the best bet.

Interesting idea, it could be very pretty! I don’t think amanitas are wood eaters, I’ve not thought about this kind of thing because mushrooms + wood can = rot and eventual dead tree with the wrong fungi

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I’ve not thought about this kind of thing because mushrooms + wood can = rot and eventual dead tree with the wrong fungi
Try growing some gourmet fungi :)
You'll find that they're very picky eaters!

I have an unknown fungus in my pine pots that can probably devastate some plants, but it seems to protect my pines from needle cast.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m going to start a progression thread for the tree in the above photo.

sanchez

Seed
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting experiment! Incorporating mycorrhizal fungi into your Abies pots could benefit the trees' health and growth. Looking forward to seeing your progression thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom