Collected Eastern Hemlock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a collected Eastern Hemlock finally put into a bonsai pot today. I’ve had this one for a couple seasons in a nursery pot and it was time for a change. I will let the canopy stay wild this season to recover the roots and work on the deadwood features this summer. If it bounces back well, I may wire some shape into it this fall.

IMG_3207.jpeg

I really like Eastern Hemlock. We have a number of them in landscape, and I have really fallen for them. Like a tree-size yew with shorter needles.

You can see with your tree how it automatically forms flat planes of foilage with a weeping character. With a little time this will be a nice-looking tree!

I did some work on this tree today. I thinned out the canopy a bit and mainly worked on exposing and refining the Jin and Shari. Unfortunately, I have waited a bit too long to do this work and there is definitely some rotting wood there and the spire ended up shortening. I’m happy with the look though and will likely reapply jin seal in a couple weeks.

Here it is before todays work:
IMG_3691.jpeg

Here is after:
IMG_3692.jpeg

I have had good luck collecting and maintaining eastern hemlock! Nice job.

Great tree! I have to say I like it a bit more on the shaggy side, but it will grow back. With the cascade, it is a bit less important to let light in. Looking forward to see it progress.

Back
Top Bottom