Collected Crepe Myrtles - New and seeking any thoughts or advice.

Cammo

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I posted these over in the 2024 Yamadori thread as my first comment, and was advised to come over here and make my first proper post. So here I am.

I collected these about 6 weeks back from a facebook marketplace listing that needed some trees removed from their fenceline. I think despite the fair amount of effort spent, I made out like a bandit. Some really impressive trunks as well as visible roots (although you can't see them super great in these photos.) I was worried they weren't gonna make it but in less than 2 months they went from bones to a fair amount of growth. Middle of summer in Savannah, good weather for them I guess.

This is a post to record my progress with them, and sort of lay out my thoughts and plans. I am new to the hobby but have done a fair bit of reading and collecting of material over the past 6 months. I've have had a passing interest in Bonsai conceptually since I was very young and saw the Karate Kid for the first time. I finally have the resources, space and time to pursue it the way I've always wanted to.

Despite all that I still have no real idea what I'm doing. I have some ideas on how to proceed with these trees in spring, but to be entirely honest I am intimidated. There are a lot of decisions to be made and I am still very uncertain of my ability to make them. On smaller/younger trees I think those decisions are a little easier, but with trees that are already so developed/aged, I am very nervous to make further chops. But I know I probably should to define the main trunk/shape of the Bonsai I want to make.

Much of what I've read has said that this is an art form and ultimately the decisions are up to me, but I am still curious as to what others have to say. I am a professional artist as my line of work, and while I do maintain that art is subjective, there are still definite techniques, methods, decisions, etc. that make for better art. I have no meaningful experience with this art form, so I would greatly appreciate any input from people who do.

Anyway that's the post. Looking forward to the discussion!

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 41
First, just let them recover from collection. This year should be about replacing roots lost. They're all multi-trunk so your next task is to select which trunks to keep and which (if any) to remove. You're looking for trunks with low movement and taper. Straight cylinders are boring. In each clump you'll want a variety of trunk thicknesses and heights. Thicker trunks should be taller in the final design. Spend some time looking at good bonsai - pics and in person, while you wait.

art is subjective, there are still definite techniques, methods, decisions, etc. that make for better art.
Words more true were never spoken!

Your trunks and bases are fantastic. With collected trees, one needs to respond to the existing tree rather than try to duplicate traditional bonsai styles. BrianBay9's advice is excellent.

@BrianBay9 Following everything you said to a tee. Just been leaving them alone and letting them do their thing. It's been raining pretty consistantly so I have hardly even needed to water them. Excited to take a good look at them in another few months as we start getting closer to spring.

@Michael P I am excited by the prospects. I think with so many potential routes with the trunks I am definitely in a position to make some choices following my gut.

Back
Top Bottom