Collected a European/Common Hornbeam

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These last 2 weeks I've been working at a construction site (I own a small demolition company) where the parking lot is going to be completely renewed so all the vegetation will be removed. Now there's this hornbeam hedge with a few nice looking trees in it. It would be a shame to see them go to waste, so yesterday I dug one out, put it in a pot and stored it in my van until it was time to go home. When I got home (it was already dark and it was raining) I put it in a better nursery pot with better soil and pruned it back a bit.

I know the timing is awful but do you think it can survive? If it does I'll leave it untouched for a year.

before/afterP1040711.JPG P1040712.JPG

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice one, if you have to collect more right now, put off branch pruning to the spring.

Reaction score
You've done a nice job in reducing it, but take off a little more of what you are not gonna use. My experience is that above = beneath, so lots of root reduction means a lot of top reduction. And be sure to leave no air pockets. Air pockets are deadly!

@petegreg why would you hold off branch pruning until spring? Curious of your reasoning

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Reasonable material, good find. Timing is OK. Protect from wind. Should be OK in spring. Needs much deeper cutting back though.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanx for the replies everyone.

Reasonable material, good find. Timing is OK. Protect from wind. Should be OK in spring. Needs much deeper cutting back though.
How far should I cut it back then?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

Hard to judge from photos only.

Think about it this way, to make it look credible its future final height could be about same as it is now. If you keep current height and add new apex wich will add 20 -30 % of height to the tree.

So, you have to look carefully on current structure and leave only those parts where you can start building tapering branches.

I would expect you will end up with 15-20 cm stumps max.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
nice tree and the base looks real good too from that pic!!!!

That decision is easier made seeing it in person but from these pics I would think somewhere right above those lowest branches. Seeing other angles of the tree would help more.

It looks like it has a good amount of potential though! More pics!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've done a nice job in reducing it, but take off a little more of what you are not gonna use. My experience is that above = beneath, so lots of root reduction means a lot of top reduction. And be sure to leave no air pockets. Air pockets are deadly!

@petegreg why would you hold off branch pruning until spring? Curious of your reasoning
Well, I think now it needs protection from serious frosts and cold winds. My guess is leaving branches till the tree starts showing signs of waking up in spring would help to store some more sugars. @0soyoung please correct me if I'm mistaken.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I think now it needs protection from serious frosts and cold winds. My guess is leaving branches till the tree starts showing signs of waking up in spring would help to store some more sugars. @0soyoung please correct me if I'm mistaken.
IMHO, winter pruning is not a good idea.

I worry about compartmentalization - the tree sealing off damage (CODIT). Cutting a branch exposes xylem, phloem, and cambium between. Living cells in the wood, for instance, inject part of their contents into adjacent lumens, plugging up the xylem at the cut. These 'plugs' ward off fungal spores from finding a nice home. A bunch of cell strands break loose in phloem tubes and seal them off at the sieve plates accomplishing the same end. Much of this is initiated by cambium die-back/desiccation, which ultimately generates an epidermis and seals itself off, stopping further desiccation.

These processes are basically all driven by enzymes whose activity declines rapidly as temperature decreases. Winter dormancy is basically a state of little to no enzymatic activity. Hence the tree is very vulnerable to infection if pruned/damaged. True, the spores don't grow until later, but the spores are where they shouldn't be, in among the living cells and, hence, will do their thing very effectively when it warms up.

You're right @petegreg, sugar is antifreeze in trees. But it is sugar inside living cells that keep them from freezing, not sugar in the pipes (aka 'sap') per se. So 'bleeding' from pruning is just a spring/fall thing of not much significance to 'prune-or-not-prune'.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I worry about compartmentalization - the tree sealing off damage (CODIT). Cutting a branch exposes xylem, phloem, and cambium between. Living cells in the wood, for instance, inject part of their contents into adjacent lumens, plugging up the xylem at the cut. These 'plugs' ward off fungal spores from finding a nice home. A bunch of cell strands break loose in phloem tubes and seal them off at the sieve plates accomplishing the same end. Much of this is initiated by cambium die-back/desiccation, which ultimately generates an epidermis and seals itself off, stopping further desiccation.

These processes are basically all driven by enzymes whose activity declines rapidly as temperature decreases. Winter dormancy is basically a state of little to no enzymatic activity. Hence the tree is very vulnerable to infection if pruned/damaged. True, the spores don't grow until later, but the spores are where they shouldn't be, in among the living cells and, hence, will do their thing very effectively when it warms up.

You're right @petegreg, sugar is antifreeze in trees. But it is sugar inside living cells that keep them from freezing, not sugar in the pipes (aka 'sap') per se. So 'bleeding' from pruning is just a spring/fall thing of not much significance to 'prune-or-not-prune'.

Thank you for explaining, your posts are always gold to read.
Except of that fungal issue. My point is that deciduous trees store all the "energy" in all parts, not just in roots. When removed in winter, we can lessen these resources. But that's it a big tree, if protected well I hope you it'll be OK.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for explaining, your posts are always gold to read.
Except of that fungal issue. My point is that deciduous trees store all the "energy" in all parts, not just in roots. When removed in winter, we can lessen these resources. But that's it a big tree, if protected well I hope you it'll be OK.
Few seem golden to me. This prior post of mine being a case in point.

Yes, I agree that energy is stored throughout the tree, but I think of pruning as just removing the tissue and it's stored energy (starch grains in the vacuoles of living cells). Hence, it doesn't directly rob anything from the rest of the tree - all energy is stored locally.

The spring effects of more roots than shoots still puzzles me, though lots of roots means lots of water to inflate new cells and maybe long internodes it seems that strong growth an long internodes must be hormonal. I've read a few posts claiming that it is roots making lots of gibberellins. It is an appealing idea but I have yet to find any scientific papers (Google scholar) supporting the notion. We are of like mind though that trees are not potatoes.

... I'm just being pedantic, I think.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Pete is right, cool post! So the best time would then right before the buds start to swell?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a little update on this one.
Last year at the end of winter I repotted it in a more shallow pot.

Last year:

P1050456.JPG

P1050493.JPG

P1050495.JPG

P1050497.JPG

P1050510.JPG

Top Bottom