trans35.jpg

next episodes coming soon :)

Greetings from Spain

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Always great to see the progression of a tree over some years, good work!

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This is wonderful! Bookmarked. Do you use the sempervivums just because you like them or do they have a purpose here?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great progression and great roots from that airlayer. Any chance we can take a look at the back? I am curious how the grafted(?) bottom branches are progressing in melding with the trunk. I'm sure over time it will look more and more natural.

geekyalias

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks, great to see.

Just wondering if you put the loop of wire around the trunk for a reason when you are layering it. thanks

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is wonderful! Bookmarked. Do you use the sempervivums just because you like them or do they have a purpose here?
I like them, and grow like crazy wild weeds ;)

Great progression and great roots from that airlayer. Any chance we can take a look at the back? I am curious how the grafted(?) bottom branches are progressing in melding with the trunk. I'm sure over time it will look more and more natural.

For sure! here you have a couple of photos
trans31.jpg

trans32.jpg

And in my blog you have a lot more click,click;) It looks weird right now, but I hope in the future melt with the trunk, more o less....

Thanks, great to see.

Just wondering if you put the loop of wire around the trunk for a reason when you are layering it. thanks

Yes, There are two reasons: cut the sap flow, and produce a bulk for better start of the nebary, better taper.

Look at this fagus
fagus14.jpg

after a few moths
fag.jpg

You can do the strangulation before or during the air layering, It depends of your patience.

I am glad you like the elm, thanks to all for the comments.

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At what point, when you first got the raw material, did you envisage the tree you have now?
When did the plan form to airlayer and structure in the way you have it now? (Not to mention plans for it future) and what brought you there?

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At what point, when you first got the raw material, did you envisage the tree you have now?
When did the plan form to airlayer and structure in the way you have it now? (Not to mention plans for it future) and what brought you there?
Well, it is hard to tell a exact point, is a kind of sum of factors:
- Had read a lot of great bonsai articles, so I knew the benefices or airlayering, grafting, pacience....
- Had found a interesting spice, that let you do a lot of interventions: Ulmus procera, AKA ulmus minor, AKA english elm.
- Had found "raw material" with an interesting feature, in this case, an old bark.

If you add all those single things, plus some time, and a bit of good luck, you have this prebonsai.

I hope this answer your question.

Greeting

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, it is hard to tell a exact point, is a kind of sum of factors:
- Had read a lot of great bonsai articles, so I knew the benefices or airlayering, grafting, pacience....
- Had found a interesting spice, that let you do a lot of interventions: Ulmus procera, AKA ulmus minor, AKA english elm.
- Had found "raw material" with an interesting feature, in this case, an old bark.

If you add all those single things, plus some time, and a bit of good luck, you have this prebonsai.

I hope this answer your question.

Greeting

Good answer, cheers :)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice progression. And I like an european version of air-pot! ?

Reaction score
Great progression David.

I see you use a lot of Leca. How do you find it for bonsai purposes? I have a couple of trees in development stage where I used Leca to fill in at least half of nursery pot as a bottom layer, cause it's so inexpensive, and it all seems to be ok so far.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progression David.

I see you use a lot of Leca. How do you find it for bonsai purposes? I have a couple of trees in development stage where I used Leca to fill in at least half of nursery pot as a bottom layer, cause it's so inexpensive, and it all seems to be ok so far.
Well, I use it as first drainage layer. It's cheap, lightweight and it can be reused. I think it´s great for big grow boxes.
Here in Spain, we know it named as "arlita"

Thanks for yours comments.

Top Bottom