CM Bonsai unboxing review!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After following @cmeg1 and his thread on his process for propagating JBP seedling cutting, which is really impressive btw. I was so happy when he put a batch up for sale on his eBay store. I just had to have one! This will also be my first JBP, I had been waiting patiently for one of these.
I messaged Curt through his eBay page and asked if he would be kind enough to pick me out one that he would pick for himself. I very quickly got a reply and a picture of a very nice little tree. The transaction was effortless and Curt was very polite and answered any questions I had about supplements and planting. I did not have any pumice or lava rock on hand and he was also kind enough to hold off on shipping for a week until I got my media in.
It shipped the following Monday and was due to be delivered Wednesday. Through no fault of CM Bonsai it was delayed by USPS (surprise surprise…) and it arrived on Friday.
Here is how it arrived. The box was a little beat up, but thats USPS for you.
6F1C6DD9-8674-4402-A6C9-472CAD08AE78.jpeg
And I do appreciate how CM Bonsai puts the his nursery certification info and inspection papers for Pennsylvania department of agriculture to ensure smooth shipping
31855020-F13A-41F4-90A9-3C9BD879F87F.jpeg
And upon opening I find peanuts…. Lots and lots of peanuts…
2463C534-7D7E-43AB-A0E2-B0953B99EC10.jpeg
I’m starting to think the peanuts are the way to go because this is the second tree I received this day that arrived in perfect condition that was packed in peanuts.
0A585B01-2563-48A7-848B-40F8A7CA17E6.jpeg
after removing the shrink wrap around the rootball I get a chance to take a good look at this killer little pine tree. It looks awesome for being in a box for a week!0001D740-9D76-4907-B6B7-4AAB98448BB9.jpeg1F428C8B-E255-4081-AA08-FA21E8039FE8.jpeg
23193141-F933-4905-BB1A-7FA4A8E251AF.jpeg
Now on to potting this little guy. As Curt suggested all I had to do was remove the plastic and plop it in 50/50 pumice/lava mix, cube and all. I was impressed by the amount of roots this tiny little cube contained.
5C1E9BD3-23CF-4BB8-B65B-6E46FBC322A3.jpeg
And here it is all happy in its new home.
44FDBC17-4D0E-4DD5-80BB-94EAE9AC3226.jpeg
B614BF29-B23A-40A5-9AFF-FB5B21347C2E.jpeg
After thanking Curt for the tree and sending some pictures, he told me the color should darken once it gets happy in its new home.
I will say this has been a very pleasurable experience purchasing this little tree from our friend fellow nut @cmeg1 His dedication to what he does and his mastery of his process is truly impressive and it comes through in the quality of his products and the knowledge he shares with us here on Bnut. If you get a chance to purchase one of his trees I highly recommend it and I am looking forward to some of the other species he has in the works. Thank you Curt!

After following @cmeg1 and his thread on his process for propagating JBP seedling cutting, which is really impressive btw. I was so happy when he put a batch up for sale on his eBay store. I just had to have one! This will also be my first JBP, I had been waiting patiently for one of these.
I messaged Curt through his eBay page and asked if he would be kind enough to pick me out one that he would pick for himself. I very quickly got a reply and a picture of a very nice little tree. The transaction was effortless and Curt was very polite and answered any questions I had about supplements and planting. I did not have any pumice or lava rock on hand and he was also kind enough to hold off on shipping for a week until I got my media in.
It shipped the following Monday and was due to be delivered Wednesday. Through no fault of CM Bonsai it was delayed by USPS (surprise surprise…) and it arrived on Friday.
Here is how it arrived. The box was a little beat up, but thats USPS for you.
View attachment 445050
And I do appreciate how CM Bonsai puts the his nursery certification info and inspection papers for Pennsylvania department of agriculture to ensure smooth shipping
View attachment 445051
And upon opening I find peanuts…. Lots and lots of peanuts…
View attachment 445052
I’m starting to think the peanuts are the way to go because this is the second tree I received this day that arrived in perfect condition that was packed in peanuts.
View attachment 445053
after removing the shrink wrap around the rootball I get a chance to take a good look at this killer little pine tree. It looks awesome for being in a box for a week!View attachment 445054View attachment 445055
View attachment 445056
Now on to potting this little guy. As Curt suggested all I had to do was remove the plastic and plop it in 50/50 pumice/lava mix, cube and all. I was impressed by the amount of roots this tiny little cube contained.
View attachment 445059
And here it is all happy in its new home.
View attachment 445060
View attachment 445061
After thanking Curt for the tree and sending some pictures, he told me the color should darken once it gets happy in its new home.
I will say this has been a very pleasurable experience purchasing this little tree from our friend fellow nut @cmeg1 His dedication to what he does and his mastery of his process is truly impressive and it comes through in the quality of his products and the knowledge he shares with us here on Bnut. If you get a chance to purchase one of his trees I highly recommend it and I am looking forward to some of the other species he has in the works. Thank you Curt!

Nice review! Looks like you have it set up great for the future too. Good substrate choice. 👍🏼

Looks like a REALLY nice JBP to start the bonsai process with.

Can’t wait till Curt has some JRP available for sale.

Looks like a REALLY nice JBP to start the bonsai process with.

Can’t wait till Curt has some JRP available for sale.
Seeds are germinating now!
This Autumn…late season….Non-Cutting.The non-cuttings are capable of looking great in their 2nd season.
Just look at these JBP non-cutting in their 2nd season!!
This morning.
DD42260F-8A01-424E-802E-570B1FE75B1D.jpegD8D09370-6EC7-48B8-AA30-1D51788C413C.jpeg

Last edited:
Seeds are germinating now!
This Autumn…late season….Non-Cutting.The non-cuttings are capable of looking great in their 2nd season.
Just look at these JBP non-cutting in their 2nd season!!
This morning.
View attachment 445263View attachment 445264
I’ll take 4-6 of those in the “red pine” version 😀

It has darkened and is soaking up all the sun I can give it. 😁
Ph 5.5-6.5 will keep it very happy since in hydro stones!!!
And water every day maybe even a top dressing of sorts or water twice a day……

Back
Top Bottom