Clumpy Gets A Repot

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Pine bark, perlite and black lava? It's probably not that important since the roots are submerged for 9 months of the year but I was just curious of your soil components and ratios.

Do you use similar soil with your non-bald cypress trees?
It is actually pine bark, PUMICE, and lava (black or red, or both). I have never used perlite. And yes, I use the same mixture for all of my trees, just smaller chunks of bark. The BC don't care much about what you grow them in, just give them lots and lots of water.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Amazing that you can get the knees popping up like that—what’s you secret?
Magic pixie dust....lol.

Larger bonsai pots so the roots can thicken. Feeder roots won't grow roots, the thicker ones do. I also grow them in water, but I am not convinced that it causes knee growth.

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Magic pixie dust....lol.

Larger bonsai pots so the roots can thicken. Feeder roots won't grow roots, the thicker ones do. I also grow them in water, but I am not convinced that it causes knee growth.
@Mellow Mullet - Thanks for your super-informative posts. I have a potentially dumb question: How do you manage your pots' drainage so that the roots can expand out the bottom without losing too much bonsai soil? I'm curious about the approximate size of the drainage holes and if you use any sort of screen. Thanks!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Really cool
Probably an unpopular opinion but to me this makes for the most interesting front.

Shows off the knees and it looks like a more compact clump than the side showing the trees more separated
I agree, it looks much better, but I cannot rotate it in the pot without some severe root pruning and losing the knees.

Top Bottom