Cjr BC forest #6

7 good size BCs collected today and 4 seedlings for a 11 tree-forest
View attachment 491858
View attachment 491859
The root pruning to fit these trees into a 26" pot was very severe. All the roots were pruned to the bottom of the buttresses. For the tree to survive, they will have to sprout roots from the base stumps. This is pushing the BCs as hard as I ever had without turning them essentially into cuttings. I will have to really baby this forest.

A good interesting program of tree care and styling. Nicely assembled so far. I like the strength of the mature trees in the forest and then the addition of the newest tree sprouts. Creating convincing tops for the mature logs will be a good challenge….and I’m sure you’re up for the challenge. Even a tree in the midst of it all that doesn’t make it will be an interesting feature of the forest. Mighty fine assembly!

Very nice work! You must be much younger than myself. Hurts my back just looking at these.

A good interesting program of tree care and styling. Nicely assembled so far. I like the strength of the mature trees in the forest and then the addition of the newest tree sprouts. Creating convincing tops for the mature logs will be a good challenge….and I’m sure you’re up for the challenge. Even a tree in the midst of it all that doesn’t make it will be an interesting feature of the forest. Mighty fine assembly!
The forest is a reassembling of a group of BC I found underneath the canopy of a big BC. I was helping my friend to clear out the undergrowth. So the seedlings came into the composition in similar manner. The hard part will be finding sunlight for the seedlings when the forest takes off.

Unlike the swamp forest that is usually flat, I had to mound the soil because I need the soil depth to cover the roots.

Last edited:
I passed 70 two years ago. Still can't find the brakes. But I am re-homing a lot of the big stuff I did when I could.

I passed 70 two years ago. Still can't find the brakes. But I am re-homing a lot of the big stuff I did when I could.
The one tree I am weary about is Batman :D

How do you plan to move all these trees up here to the Philly area? Ten U-Haul trucks filled with giant bonsai trees?

Very cool. I see a lot of pruning in your future!

Totally understand this and I practice the same direction….but re-homing even on the small trees that just won’t develop enough in my physical ability lifetime.

He might donate this one to National Bonsai & Penjing Meseum. I have seen it in person. It is big and nicely arranged. Looks like it hasn't been moved since it was put together late March. That spot looks familiar.

He might donate this one to National Bonsai & Penjing Meseum. I have seen it in person. It is big and nicely arranged. Looks like it hasn't been moved since it was put together late March. That spot looks familiar.

I have little doubt that @Cajunrider could develop the bigger forest to that level, but won't that take a while?

It’s likely quite a work project to get it moved.

Hence my question about moving up to the Philly suburbs.
There’s probably a lengthy period of isolation when bringing in new material where the growing environment is mostly unknown.

Totally understand this and I practice the same direction….but re-homing even on the small trees that just won’t develop enough in my physical ability lifetime.
I have little doubt that @Cajunrider could develop the bigger forest to that level, but won't that take a while?
It will look decent in 5 years. After that is all refinement that takes forever. My experience is that it will be pleasing to my eyes in 3 years. That is all that matter.

Back
Top Bottom