Choosing round or rectangular pots

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It seems I don't see a lot of larger round pots. I happen to like them from a visual standpoint. I also like them because they are easier for me to make out of concrete in the larger sizes. I have half a dozen of big trees that would need pots costing hundreds of dollars each. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.

What are some guidelines for using round instead of rectangular pots. Personal preferences?? Practical reasons??

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rectangle is more masculine.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It seems I don't see a lot of larger round pots. I happen to like them from a visual standpoint. I also like them because they are easier for me to make out of concrete in the larger sizes. I have half a dozen of big trees that would need pots costing hundreds of dollars each. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.

What are some guidelines for using round instead of rectangular pots. Personal preferences?? Practical reasons??
Circular is considered softer and more feminine. It is usually a better choice for many deciduous trees, particularly trees that have a circular canopy (when view from above).

Rectangular pots are harder and more masculine. They usually work better with conifers - particularly pines. They pair well with trees that have strong lines, and angular designs.

Think of the pot as complementing the tree - like a nice frame complements an oil painting.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a giant 100 x 80 cm plastic tray with water that I put my trees in when it’s super hot and I’d be away from home for 2 days or more.
It is rectangular in shape to fit my rectangular pots.
Oval pots leave gaps where sun could evaporate the water supply
That’s just me, and I’ve learned that my needs are terrifyingly unique

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A round pot is a lot of surface area in front and behind a single trunk, especially with a larger tree. It's an aesthetic thing. Literati trees look great in round pots since the pots are generally smaller and the perfect circle of the small pot is a great contrast to the long and often meandering trunk of the literati. With a larger tree, a circular pot would be so much visually larger than a oval or rectangle. The aesthetic quality is quite different and less striking generally. It is totally a personal esthetic choice though, so if you like the look, do it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Much to ponder.
One of my favorite article series from Bonsai Today (back years ago) was where they had a tree, and they paired it with four or five different pots. You would chose (mentally) which pot you thought was best, and then they would have a renowned Japanese artist talk about how one pot was best for that tree. 90% of the time I would agree... but every now and then I would disagree and sometimes I was far off the mark.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Rectangular pots are often used with formal trees whereas round and oval are more informal.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well, my trees are about as informal as you can get. LOL.
Mine resemble yours!
I prefer round pots for bald cypress when they are first collected.
BTW, rectangular cement pots are supposed to be really easy to make. My folks in the old country have them in all sizes including giant ones with trees up to 30 ft tall.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Mine resemble yours!
I prefer round pots for bald cypress when they are first collected.
BTW, rectangular cement pots are supposed to be really easy to make. My folks in the old country have them in all sizes including giant ones with trees up to 30 ft tall.
I've seen the videos on Youtube. As far as easy, people that really know what they are doing make it LOOK easy. I've made some and it definitely takes a certain touch.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've seen the videos on Youtube. As far as easy, people that really know what they are doing make it LOOK easy. I've made some and it definitely takes a certain touch.
LOL. A lot of us boys in Vietnam learn to work with cement when we were young. I remember learning to mix and pour cement to make patio for the house and fish tanks. My goldfish tanks were all concrete back in the days. My first concrete fish tank looked like the concrete truck threw up and spitted it out. I need to get back to that practice and make some pots when I get to PA. I haven't done that for 50 years.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Top Bottom