Chinese Elm In Sunroom [Update]

dhelix33

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Several weeks ago I saved my Chinese Elm bonsai tree from death - Looking much better! Establishing the balance of moisture and dryness [watering about every four days this summer [probably once a week - or two in the upcoming winter]. The first image posted is of my Chinese Elm tree [near death] the day I repotted. The following images show how it is recovering.

Attachments

• tree 21JUL24.jpg
    tree 21JUL24.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 89
It will flush out with growth, that is no issue. Keeping it alive inside will be a problem.
I have moved the Chinese Elm outdoors today! New permanent home is on a table on the patio outside the sunroom it was residing in.

Attachments

• 899F9BF6-3942-4FAA-A089-AB549300F404.jpg
    899F9BF6-3942-4FAA-A089-AB549300F404.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 60
  • FE4A5D66-36FC-4EAA-BAD0-6E9739361584.jpg
    FE4A5D66-36FC-4EAA-BAD0-6E9739361584.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 48
  • D7C968E5-A51F-4F4B-BE61-0085BA5FD8ED.jpg
    D7C968E5-A51F-4F4B-BE61-0085BA5FD8ED.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 67
I just got a feel for how to water it sitting in the sunroom [controlled environment]. Any suggestions for U.S. North Carolina Piedmont region Chinese Elm bonsai watering [with rain now a factor?]

I’m in Charlotte. I do nothing special for my elms. I water every day except for when it rains. After a week of rain like we’ve had I will let them dry out a bit before I start watering again.

I have several and they have seen about 10” of rain over the last 10 days without issues. I just watered them today for the first time as it did not rain again in the last 24 hours. However I use a very coarse inorganic bonsai soil which drains quickly. My only problem has been with a large trident maple in similar soil but with a bit more pine bark, and I had to move it into the greenhouse to dry out.

I have several and they have seen about 10” of rain over the last 10 days without issues. I just watered them today for the first time as it did not rain again in the last 24 hours. However I use a very coarse inorganic bonsai soil which drains quickly. My only problem has been with a large trident maple in similar soil but with a bit more pine bark, and I had to move it into the greenhouse to dry out.
Thank you.

happy for you.
Sorry I had to type that fast as I had a meeting I had to get to
I glad yours seems to be recovering. Chinese elms are usually pretty tough customers.
Have you figured out why it was doing poorly?
If its been really hot down there in NC, you should be particularly diligent to monitor watering to make sure it is getting enough.
You can always try the chopstick method to monitor soil moisture.
Stick a wood chopstick in the soil and leave it there. Check it once a day and water the tree when its almost dry.
Mine sits on a bench that gets morning sun and afternoon shade to avoid the worst heat/sun of the day and as I said, it seems happy enough with that

I just got a feel for how to water it sitting in the sunroom [controlled environment]. Any suggestions for U.S. North Carolina Piedmont region Chinese Elm bonsai watering [with rain now a factor?]
There is no reason to fear rain. It rains on trees every day. They're fine. If heavy rain is expected, prop one end of the pot up on a rock or fencing slat, so the pot is on a bit (not a lot) of an incline. That incline increases drainage to low end and help shed excess water.

FWIW, you will have to get a feel for how to water it all over again in its new location. It's not the same as inside. We can't really tell you how to do that because your local conditions and tree will dictate. One way to get a feel for when to water is to water the pot heavily until a lot of water runs out the bottom holes. Allow that water to drain and stop flowing. Then pick the pot up. Feel the weight? That is what a well-watered pot feels like. Let it sit for a day, pick it up. Feel the weight difference ,or you may not. depends on how much water the tree is using. Some days it will use a lot, other days it won't. Keep monitoring the pot though, it will get lighter, sometimes substantially lighter with windy dryer weather. Once it dries down an inch into the soil, water well again.

Also FWIW, NEVER rely on the rain to do your watering for you. It will not. If you do that, you will lose trees. Rain is NEVER a given. Enough rain to soak through the pot is an all day affair, or a heavy 1/2 downpour. A light rain that lasts an hour isn't going to do much. Rain is fickle and unreliable as a water source.

I'm in Raleigh, my trees stay in partial shade all summer with this heat. I water them daily with no issues especially when its not humid. My soil mix is mostly pumice with some compost and sphagnum.

There is no reason to fear rain. It rains on trees every day. They're fine. If heavy rain is expected, prop one end of the pot up on a rock or fencing slat, so the pot is on a bit (not a lot) of an incline. That incline increases drainage to low end and help shed excess water.

FWIW, you will have to get a feel for how to water it all over again in its new location. It's not the same as inside. We can't really tell you how to do that because your local conditions and tree will dictate. One way to get a feel for when to water is to water the pot heavily until a lot of water runs out the bottom holes. Allow that water to drain and stop flowing. Then pick the pot up. Feel the weight? That is what a well-watered pot feels like. Let it sit for a day, pick it up. Feel the weight difference ,or you may not. depends on how much water the tree is using. Some days it will use a lot, other days it won't. Keep monitoring the pot though, it will get lighter, sometimes substantially lighter with windy dryer weather. Once it dries down an inch into the soil, water well again.

Also FWIW, NEVER rely on the rain to do your watering for you. It will not. If you do that, you will lose trees. Rain is NEVER a given. Enough rain to soak through the pot is an all day affair, or a heavy 1/2 downpour. A light rain that lasts an hour isn't going to do much. Rain is fickle and unreliable as a water source.
Thanks for this - appreciate the experience share for guidance.

Back
Top Bottom