Chinese Elm Bonsai Aesthetics [29-SEP-2023]

dhelix33

Seedling
Reaction score
From what I have seen, the Chinese Elm bonsai likes full sun and is adaptable to most soil types - as long as well draining. Going to be interesting getting a feel for how to water the bonsai during our humid-hot [at times in the mid-90°F] summertime here in The Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. I have seen that Chinese Elm can handle as low as 20°F [I will be bringing mine indoors when the temp. falls to 32°F or below]. In terms of this Chinese Elm bonsai tree environment control - there are many things to consider, like...

A. Chinese Elm bonsai trees thrive in bright, indirect light. My tree will be at a window in the sunroom that receives direct sun from the East in the morning, and ample sunlight throughout the day. The East-South facing windows should be ideal to provide a good balance of sunlight exposure.

B. I cannot help but consider the visual impact I want to create with this tree [as it matures]. Chinese Elm bonsai trees are often styled with a front and a back.

QUESTION: That being said, which do you think is more visually appealing; Image on left with lower branches to the left - or the image on right with lower branches to the right? Ultimately, I want to strike a balance between the tree's look and its need for light and air circulation in the sunroom.

Greg
Cary, NC

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 12.25.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 12.25.53 PM.png
    512.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9920.JPG
    IMG_9920.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I’m not sure one is more appealing than the other. I think the better thing to do to try to pick a front would be to dig down a bit and see if you can find the nebari as that may help you choose a front. Also I know typically the apex will lean towards the front of the tree. It’s difficult to tell if the apex is leaning one way or the other but that could help you decide.

As far as I can tell both sides are almost identical but for some reason I prefer the first branch left view on this tree, it seems to flow better to my eye.

As above though, nebari and trunk movement are prioritised over branching, especially such thin branches you could replace these branches in a year no problem with a chelm.

Back
Top Bottom