Cheap potting supplies

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
May I ask what the spahnum is for? Rooting seedlings? Or for an airlayer?

Good sphagnum has many applications in bonsai, but for this contest, at least initially, I use it to maintain moisture in my cold stratification bags in the fridge. Sphagnum has anti-fungal properties, so it helps prevent fungus on your seeds.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
how long are you cold stratifying for?

I'll be doing it for 30 days, but by February it is usually starting to get warm here. This winter is strange though. We haven't had winter yet. Today it is scheduled to be 70+. Walking through our neighborhood, some deciduous have not dropped their leaves yet. Sweetgums, ginkos, sycamores... many that haven't dropped.

MikeMurphy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, I was looking for those large rectangular colander in a good price.
For pots go to your local nursery and ask if they have any used pots they would be willing to get rid of. I got about 30 4" pots this way a couple of years ago for free.

For colanders try Tiger Chef.

I've never purchased through them before but the prices look pretty good.

There is also your local Chinese restaurant. I picked up a half dozen 11" colanders from the restaurant down the road for a dollar a piece.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't really know. Years. I have never thrown one out. They aren't designed to be used to plant trees in - they are designed to be used as trays for smaller propagation pots - so they are heavy plastic designed to put up with a lot of abuse. If you want, tomorrow I can make a short YouTube video showing what it looks like in real life. I'll smack it around a little so you can see what I'm talking about. I have a couple big trees growing in some of them I can show you roots coming out the bottom, etc.

What is your youtube?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe @Wires_Guy_wires has recommendations. He might through his work have to source these?
For andersons flats? I've never seen those being used at my old job. They were more into traditional materials since they produce for the agricultural field, where most people still use sowing trays and do old school uppotting. I think rootpots and airpots and other fabric pots would suffice, build a small frame around them for rigidity maybe. They can be found pretty cheap on the internet.

Right now I'm back into genetics, so I really only have access to some good university coffee.
If it's sphagnum you need, check the orchid related webstores or the local flower shop. I got a crate of the live stuff for 4.99.

Top Bottom