Chamaecyparis pisifera (Sawara cypress?) - help with pot, repotting and pruning

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello, I've had plenty of posts here lately but it's because I get incredible help from this community and reliable nonetheless!

I recently bought a Chamaecyparis pisifera from a local garden store, I figured it was worth a shot - cost 17€. I did some quick research while being there and it seemed to match most things to make a bonsai out of it.
As you may understand, I am by no means anything else but a happy beginner, eager to learn.

I'll attach some pictures below.

Some questions:

1. Should I repot it in spring and just keep it in its current pot until then?
2. Would it need more winter protection in USDA zone 7a than mulch and a thin frost cloth?
3. What size pot would be appropriate for this size tree?
4. When and how much pruning should be done to the roots and tree itself? Is it hardy enough to endure a rough haircut as well as root pruning?
5. Will any mix of akadama and pumice-mix work for this tree? Inorganic solely of course.
6. Should I do anything at all right now?
7. Is this tree even appropriate? I found some information but it was very scarce, it also appeared to have plenty of different names?

Once again, thank you for being so helpful and resourceful!

chamaecyparis 1.jpg
chamaecyparis  2.jpg
chamaecyparis 3.jpg
chamaecyparis  4.jpg

Good questions!

7. Is this tree even appropriate? I found some information but it was very scarce, it also appeared to have plenty of different names?
-- There's definitely high quality examples of Sawara cypress, so you didn't go horribly wrong. Hinoki cypress is very similar. Most advice for Hinoki will probably be applicable to Sawara cypress

-- Yes spring is definitely better. This pot will do just fine until then

2. Would it need more winter protection in USDA zone 7a than mulch and a thin frost cloth?
-- You probably won't need too much protection, but definitely leave it on the ground and out of wind

-- The width of the pot is usually about the width of the intended canopy, but it's pretty flexible. I wouldn't go significantly larger than the current dimensions. The tree will look a little underwhelming in too big of a pot

4. When and how much pruning should be done to the roots and tree itself? Is it hardy enough to endure a rough haircut as well as root pruning?
-- I haven't styled/pruned and repotted a Hinoki or Sawara cypress at the same time. Not sure how recommended that is. If there's a bonsai club in your area, they might give you good insight into that

5. Will any mix of akadama and pumice-mix work for this tree? Inorganic solely of course.
-- Hinoki really don't like to dry out, and I'd imagine Sawara cypress is similar. If you're only using akadama and pumice, I think leaning more heavily on the akadama is the way to go. The soil mix needs to match your watering habits though. If it dries out too fast while you're at work, that'll be a problem in the heat of summer. Local clubs can give good advice on soil mixes that are appropriate for your climate, because that'll heavily influence what you can make use of

-- If you've got 6-8 weeks until the first frost, you can give it a light pruning, but not much beyond that

Where in the world are you? It would help if you provide your location so that people can give more advice specific to your climatic zone.
Sawara Cypress can make a nice bonsai in time. A similar looking cultivar - Chamaecyparis pisifera Boulevard is quite popular.
For now you might be better off planting it in the ground and growing on for at least a couple of years to bulk it up ,then look at it again with a view to formative pruning and wiring. At the moment its not really much more than a well-rooted cutting in a pot and will not develop much if you now simply replant it into a bonsai pot.

Where in the world are you? It would help if you provide your location so that people can give more advice specific to your climatic zone.
Sawara Cypress can make a nice bonsai in time. A similar looking cultivar - Chamaecyparis pisifera Boulevard is quite popular.
For now you might be better off planting it in the ground and growing on for at least a couple of years to bulk it up ,then look at it again with a view to formative pruning and wiring. At the moment its not really much more than a well-rooted cutting in a pot and will not develop much if you now simply replant it into a bonsai pot.
All information is in my signature but I provided USDA zone 7a in the text as well :-)

Can’t I start its bonsai journey at this stage? Doesn’t it all depend on what kind of sized tree I want in the end?

The trunk will thicken in a bonsai pot as well but a bit slower, right?

All information is in my signature

If you click the link to your profile in the very top-right of your page, there's a field for location and zone. It'll display underneath your username and avatar, and it's the typical way people share their location here 🤷‍♂️

All information is in my signature but I provided USDA zone 7a in the text as well :)

Can’t I start its bonsai journey at this stage? Doesn’t it all depend on what kind of sized tree I want in the end?

The trunk will thicken in a bonsai pot as well but a bit slower, right?
It would be stunted and much slower if you now transplant into a bonsai pot, which is why I suggested growing it on in the ground if you want it to develop and look like a bonsai tree . This will help to thicken up the trunk rapidly !

It would be stunted and much slower if you now transplant into a bonsai pot, which is why I suggested growing it on in the ground if you want it to develop and look like a bonsai tree . This will help to thicken up the trunk rapidly !
Would a decently sized pot work as well?

Don’t have access to a garden or ground as of now :(

Would a decently sized pot work as well?

Don’t have access to a garden or ground as of now :(
Would it even be suitable to pot it in this balcony pot just for a year or two to let it grow? Or is it too small?

IMG_2782.jpeg

Sawara Cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera) are quite hardy and certainly grow well outdoors in Britain, but Im not sure how severe your winters are in Sweden . On a balcony in a large trough/ container it should be fine unless your winters are really cold. You also need to provide adequate drainage holes and a free- draining growing medium.

Sawara Cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera) are quite hardy and certainly grow well outdoors in Britain, but Im not sure how severe your winters are in Sweden . On a balcony in a large trough/ container it should be fine unless your winters are really cold. You also need to provide adequate drainage holes and a free- draining growing medium.
Average winter temperature is 0 to -5c but it happens that we get a week or two where temperatures drop to -15c~

A little bump and update. I have repotted it in a bigger pot in hope for some growth in the upcoming years.

IMG_2793.jpeg

Should I prune it in spring and remove the lower two branches (marked red) or keep them and style the main branch and let them increase trunk size? I shouldn’t prune now from what I read online.

From the back:
IMG_2792.jpeg

From the front:
IMG_2795.jpeg
IMG_2794.jpeg

Thank you :-)

Doing a bump here since spring is around the corner and I am unsure if I should do a severe prune or not right now

Good questions!

-- There's definitely high quality examples of Sawara cypress, so you didn't go horribly wrong. Hinoki cypress is very similar. Most advice for Hinoki will probably be applicable to Sawara cypress

-- Yes spring is definitely better. This pot will do just fine until then

-- You probably won't need too much protection, but definitely leave it on the ground and out of wind

-- The width of the pot is usually about the width of the intended canopy, but it's pretty flexible. I wouldn't go significantly larger than the current dimensions. The tree will look a little underwhelming in too big of a pot

-- I haven't styled/pruned and repotted a Hinoki or Sawara cypress at the same time. Not sure how recommended that is. If there's a bonsai club in your area, they might give you good insight into that

-- Hinoki really don't like to dry out, and I'd imagine Sawara cypress is similar. If you're only using akadama and pumice, I think leaning more heavily on the akadama is the way to go. The soil mix needs to match your watering habits though. If it dries out too fast while you're at work, that'll be a problem in the heat of summer. Local clubs can give good advice on soil mixes that are appropriate for your climate, because that'll heavily influence what you can make use of

-- If you've got 6-8 weeks until the first frost, you can give it a light pruning, but not much beyond that

Back
Top Bottom