Casuarina Trunk fusion experiment

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I have wanted to try this technique for ages and also wanted to try my hand at training up some Casuarina's which grow everywhere here (Australia).

I recently collected a huge amount Casuarina seeds that i will plant this week

I made a wire frame to attach the whips once they take off, like in this article.

of https://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/trunk-fusion

20170818_150809.jpg 20170818_152225.jpg

I wrapped the wire in aluminum foil because i was thinking of filling it with concrete beforehand.

Thoughts/tips?

Don't really have much to add but I'm interested in following, have seen pics that suggest Casuarina fuse so this will be a cool experiment.
Are these C. equisetifolia?

Don't really have much to add but I'm interested in following, have seen pics that suggest Casuarina fuse so this will be a cool experiment.
Are these C. equisetifolia?

I am not too sure what type of casuarina the seeds are from. I will get some pictures of the tree's to narrow it down. There are also a few yamadori casuarina that i plan to dig up aswell.

I've heard (and experienced with other species) that you are not supposed to use seedlings for the fusion technique, because the genetic variability causes differing characteristics in foliage, growth rates, and bark texture. Seedlings are more appropriate for a forest type bonsai and cuttings from the same plant should be use for fusion. There is nothing wrong with experimenting, but the final product may have some flaws.

I've heard (and experienced with other species) that you are not supposed to use seedlings for the fusion technique, because the genetic variability causes differing characteristics in foliage, growth rates, and bark texture. Seedlings are more appropriate for a forest type bonsai and cuttings from the same plant should be use for fusion. There is nothing wrong with experimenting, but the final product may have some flaws.

That makes sense, flaws don't bother me too much as get a lot of satisfaction from creating/experimenting. Thanks for the info.

I thought i would propagate the seeds already in a circle in the shape of the frame. As you can see i have put them on wet paper towel and then inbetween two dinner plates and in a warm spot. Once they sprout i will plant them as is.

My idea is that this means i wont have to dig up each baby tree and place it around the base, all i will have to do is place the frame in the centre once they are an adequate length and then wrap around/attach.

Attachments

• 20170822_142512.jpg
    20170822_142512.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170822_142531.jpg
    20170822_142531.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 11
flaws don't bother me too much

I think this "flaws" we are throwing around is flawed...

Flaws on one tree are one type of flaws...
The type I believe you are speaking of.
The type that are ok.

But the flaws Mr.FancyPlants is using...
The possible flaws resulting from using different seedlings....with this technique.....
Those flaws, they are not flaws that any artist can overcome, that any viewer can appreciate...

They are flaws that spell complete disaster..(possibly) of the project, rendering it completely useless.

Possibly.

But here's what I know....

That cage shape is dope.
I expect it wasn't a thoughtless project.

That ring of seed is very thoughtful.
Awesome in fact.

Your willingness to wait a few years to see this through..
Also awesome.

And I fully believe this.
get a lot of satisfaction from creating

So much so that I don't believe you would want it to end with.....a failure!

Bro...I'm not saying don't do this....
I'm saying pop one of them seedling out...
A good strong one.
And grow it out to make cuttings to start another!

This way if this does "the bad flaw" up, your prepped to get enjoyment from the other.

Love! Welcome back!

Sorce

I think this "flaws" we are throwing around is flawed...

Flaws on one tree are one type of flaws...
The type I believe you are speaking of.
The type that are ok.

But the flaws Mr.FancyPlants is using...
The possible flaws resulting from using different seedlings....with this technique.....
Those flaws, they are not flaws that any artist can overcome, that any viewer can appreciate...

They are flaws that spell complete disaster..(possibly) of the project, rendering it completely useless.

Possibly.

But here's what I know....

That cage shape is dope.
I expect it wasn't a thoughtless project.

That ring of seed is very thoughtful.
Awesome in fact.

Your willingness to wait a few years to see this through..
Also awesome.

And I fully believe this.

So much so that I don't believe you would want it to end with.....a failure!

Bro...I'm not saying don't do this....
I'm saying pop one of them seedling out...
A good strong one.
And grow it out to make cuttings to start another!

This way if this does "the bad flaw" up, your prepped to get enjoyment from the other.

Love! Welcome back!

Sorce

Good points! I appreciate them. I plan to do a few of these so taking a strong one and making cutting is definitely an idea. These thing's grow everywhere where i live so i should probably just go make a shitload of cutting and attempt another one to speed up the process. I was also thinking i could make a make a similar shape and fill it with concrete and use it for a root over rock

I'm interested to follow this, casuarina are vigorous trees so I'm quite sure they are capable of fusing. 2 observations - 1) the foil need to go at some stage, the advantage of the frame is the multiple points for tying off the seedlings. 2) unless germination is 100% you will have gaps that won't fill in. I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with @sorce recently, AND understanding him! Throw some seeds separate to this project and let them run, you can build a thick trunk rather quick with these!

I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with @sorce recently, AND understanding him!

I think folks are generally presenting better material,
Asmwell as being open to more advice.

I was thinking about it yesterday, people come now, fully prepared to throw stuff in the ground, with stuff in the ground, or identifying as an apt/flat dweller, who doesn't have the option.

Times are changing!

Sorce

I'm interested in this too. I have a really hard time believing that something cool isn't going to happen. Eventually. Such is life.
Maybe ill try it too, mame scale though.

My dog destroyed this project before it got momentum. I will have to try again
Thank you for the update, and I’m sorry to hear of its fate. I suppose that’s better than your dog destroying it after several years of work. The time spent planning and conceptualizing it is never really lost. I’ll look forward to the next iteration.

Back
Top Bottom