Cascaded branch growth

brp7

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi,

I have three copperpods (Peltophorum pterocarpum) saplings, of which I decided to make one cascaded bonsai. The semi-cascaded part is about 5 months old and the shoot that came after that is the one that grows vertically (thicker as seen in the picture). It is outpacing the cascaded one in growth.

Should I cut the vertical part for the cascaded part to get thicker and get the wired marks healed fast?

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions you can give mecopperpod2.jpgcopperpodIMG_20240922_174013.jpg.

Thanks,
brp7

Most species are apical dominant which simply means they want to become the tallest tree in the forest, even when there is no forest to compete with.
Most trees will try to grow vertical rather than horizontal as yours has.
Any vertical growth will get preference over horizontal or less vertical parts - as yours has done.
In lots of cases, if a vertical shoot is allowed to grow for some time, the cascade part will slowly lose vigour and may even die.
The only way I know to encourage horizontal or cascade branches is to rigorously remove all vertical shoots an prune any higher parts much more than the cascade parts.

I tend to agree with @jeremy_norbury Trying cascade with strong apical dominant species is just making a rod for your back, let alone whether the results will look good.

Most species are apical dominant which simply means they want to become the tallest tree in the forest, even when there is no forest to compete with.
Most trees will try to grow vertical rather than horizontal as yours has.
Any vertical growth will get preference over horizontal or less vertical parts - as yours has done.
In lots of cases, if a vertical shoot is allowed to grow for some time, the cascade part will slowly lose vigour and may even die.
The only way I know to encourage horizontal or cascade branches is to rigorously remove all vertical shoots an prune any higher parts much more than the cascade parts.

I tend to agree with @jeremy_norbury Trying cascade with strong apical dominant species is just making a rod for your back, let alone whether the results will look good.
Thanks for your reply, Shibui. As you said, my Delonix Regia cascaded branch died after staying dormant for many months. However, this has comparatively slower growth than vertical branches. This tree is not that nice-looking even if it flowers. I would give it a shot by cutting those vertical branches more.

Thanks,
brp7

Back
Top Bottom