Can you help identify this tree?

Mainely Jazz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A friend gave me these trees about five years ago. Each was in a small plastic pot. I transferred them to this bonsai pot about three years ago, and the trees have been doing well ... I think. The problem is, I don't know what they are.

The leaves are about an inch long, a little stiff, and sticky. The roots grow from a disk-like pod or seed that's around an inch in diameter. It's not a terribly full tree, but I don't know if that's the species or the care. (It stays inside near a north-facing window, gets watered twice/week and fertilized once/month.) I'm also not sure how to cut it or train it, since I'm not sure what it is. (Ignore the small white flowers at the base. They're just decorative.)

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5008.JPG
    IMG_5008.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 99

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am pretty sure it is Solanaceae, but it does have Ficus Benjamina traits. I belive you may have a hybrid Solanaceae Benjamina ;)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A Ficus should bleed white sap if you pluck a leaf, that said if the other species bleeds white sap too then it is not much of a test. :p

Mainely Jazz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Were it poison sumac, I'm pretty sure I'd know by now, so, although funny, I'm going to cross that one off the list of possibilities. From what I can see online, it does look more like a Ficus Benjamina than a Solanaceae Benjamina. So I'm going to go with that (until I break out in itchy hives.)

That said, would a Ficus Benjamina have those large pod-like seeds below the trees?

Thank you!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ficus benjamina cv ''Shorty''
Difficult to keep going for long periods unless in a tropical climate.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That said, would a Ficus Benjamina have those large pod-like seeds below the trees?

Ok, no more joking around :)

No, ficus benjamina will not have large pod-like seeds. Ficus is Latin for "fig", so what you have is a group of tropical fig trees. They don't always fruit (I have some that have gone years without fruiting) but when they do fruit, the figs are small and round and about the size of a large pea. They remind me more of berries than figs.

Ficus benjamina fruit.jpg

Last edited:

Mainely Jazz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The large nut/pod-like thing is in the roots, not on the branches. From the photos I've seen, it does appear to be a ficus benjamina. I'd have to dig it up to get a photo of the roots.

As for the tropical weather, that shouldn't be a problem at all, seeing as how I live in the tropics of Maine.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to BNut @Mainely Jazz

We would ask that you please update your profile with the state you are located in so that when you ask questions, we are better able to give you appropriate advice.

Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Kinda wanna see the nut!

Sorce

Mainely Jazz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, these look a little different than I remember from two years ago. They're just fat roots ... or something. They're all bent because they are growing into the bottom of the pot. Ficus Benjamina?

I'm getting ready to repot them so the largest tree is closer to one end, with the other two near it. Essentially, they'll all be on one half of the pot.

I'm open to any ideas on pruning and repotting.

Thanks, all.

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5028.JPG