Can I repot this in autumn

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi guys, I have a tiny twin trunk pfitz juniper and I was wondering if I can repot it in autumn, it is currently in it's garden center soil and so I might need to cut off quite a good amount of roots

Does water drain through the pot ok currently? If yes, I'd recommend waiting until spring.

The soil that it came in does stay soggy but I've put in a bigger pot surrounded by very porous and airy soil, my idea was that the very airy soil will wick out the moisture out of the soggy soil in the middl.
I'm not sure that will work during the winter so I might just take it out and put it in it's original soil

I don’t have junipers so am not to much help. However, I’m asking others who do have junipers this question. Could the juniper be slip potted into a larger container of the same shape, just larger, and have the edges teased free of the current soil and a better substrate filled in the surrounding open area? If it was possible I’d probably use an absorbing small size substrate such as Turface for example. It would blend well and help suck up some of the rootball moisture. I’ve done this with deciduous trees but never a juniper. ???

Hi guys, I have a tiny twin trunk pfitz juniper and I was wondering if I can repot it in autumn, it is currently in it's garden center soil and so I might need to cut off quite a good amount of roots

Why do you think you need to cut off a lot of roots? You should not be going from a nursery container to a bonsai pot. We typically use an intermediate training pot or pots to step it down to a bonsai pot over a few years. If you remove too many roots you will kill the tree.

That said, it is probably fine in the pot it is in now until spring when you can repot at the right time into a training container: ie a pot shorter than the one it's to promote horizontal root development and slightly smaller than the current pot in diameter.

Bonsai is a marathon not a sprint. You try to do things faster than trees can handle, you will have dead trees

Never said I was putting in a bonsai pot :^), I just want to get rid of as much soggy soil as I can.
When I said that I was probably going to take a lot of roots is because they are very thin and unfortunately it is really root bound, they will probably be torn out when I get the soil out but I will take my time and slooowly take that nasty soil away

Good advice and point from @ShimpakuBonsai

@Carapace What might be helpful is to attach a photo of the tree you’re discussing. It helps a lot to see visually what you’re dealing with.

I would leave it as is until spring for a repot.
Can't you place the tree somewhere with some sort of cover (roof or something) so it doesn't get constantly wet when it's raining?
That way the trees doesn't get that wet and if needed you can give it some water.
It is growing on a balcony and it never really rains on the pots themselves because of the way the wind blows here, always away from that balcony, it is south facing so don't worry about it not getting enough sun ;^)

The soil that it came in does stay soggy but I've put in a bigger pot surrounded by very porous and airy soil, my idea was that the very airy soil will wick out the moisture out of the soggy soil in the middl.
I'm not sure that will work during the winter so I might just take it out and put it in it's original soil
Slip potting organic rich soil (that’s what I think soggy usually infers) into a larger pot with aggregate, free draining soil is generally a recipe for disaster as the interior organic soil will try out even if you water frequently. I wouldn’t do that.

Slip potting organic rich soil (that’s what I think soggy usually infers) into a larger pot with aggregate, free draining soil is generally a recipe for disaster as the interior organic soil will try out even if you water frequently. I wouldn’t do that.
I was going to mention this. I have been told that it can go as far as making that inner chunk become hydrophobic once it dries completely. Since you’ve done this already that may change the importance of reporting now but I’m not in a position to advise either way. IIRC @Deep Sea Diver advised me against this slip potting method, perhaps he could suggest a direction going forward.

I was going to mention this. I have been told that it can go as far as making that inner chunk become hydrophobic once it dries completely. Since you’ve done this already that may change the importance of reporting now but I’m not in a position to advise either way. IIRC @Deep Sea Diver advised me against this slip potting method, perhaps he could suggest a direction going forward.
You’ve got to work the existing root ball so that a fair amount of roots reside in both soil types… I recommend doing this work in spring, fwiw.

Not sure what the issue is.
On one post OP mentions soggy soil ….
… yet on another it’s in a place the never gets watered naturally.
My first take would be it’s being watered too much and/or too frequently.

So perhaps cutting back in water would be best for a juniper. These species don’t need a lot of water.

Next it seems to be root bound. Not sure that corresponds with soggy soil. Usually a root bound tree’s media doesn’t absorb water.

If so, best bet would be to either poke holes or drill will an 1/8-3/16” long drill clear through the root ball, say 6-10 holes depending on the size of the pot. That will solve the drainage for 6 months at least.

In any event you’ll need to get the tree out of two kinds of media. Either match the media you have or don’t slip pot. Using two separate large areas of media has damaged more trees on this forum than I can count.

Finally Garry H may well recommend repotting in fall, although it doesn’t make much horticultural sense (cutting lots of roots off at the end of the growing season)… he also has the knowledge and equipment to make it work.

So wait until early spring… get it out of the two medias… poke holes…..and please do not put the tree in a thin ‘flat’ bonsai’ pot unless the tree is out of the development stage. It will merely slow down the growth when you need it most.

If you must put it in a bonsai pot choose one that is deeper.

Cheers
DSD sends

Not sure what the issue is.
On one post OP mentions soggy soil ….
… yet on another it’s in a place the never gets watered naturally.
My first take would be it’s being watered too much and/or too frequently.

So perhaps cutting back in water would be best for a juniper. These species don’t need a lot of water.

Next it seems to be root bound. Not sure that corresponds with soggy soil. Usually a root bound tree’s media doesn’t absorb water.

If so, best bet would be to either poke holes or drill will an 1/8-3/16” long drill clear through the root ball, say 6-10 holes depending on the size of the pot. That will solve the drainage for 6 months at least.

In any event you’ll need to get the tree out of two kinds of media. Either match the media you have or don’t slip pot. Using two separate large areas of media has damaged more trees on this forum than I can count.

Finally Garry H may well recommend repotting in fall, although it doesn’t make much horticultural sense (cutting lots of roots off at the end of the growing season)… he also has the knowledge and equipment to make it work.

So wait until early spring… get it out of the two medias… poke holes…..and please do not put the tree in a thin ‘flat’ bonsai’ pot unless the tree is out of the development stage. It will merely slow down the growth when you need it most.

If you must put it in a bonsai pot choose one that is deeper.

Cheers
DSD sends
It's going to go in a pond basket for atleast 3 years, I don't really plan on thickening it out too much because I want to make it into a twin trunk literati but right now they are literally as thick as a pencil

Great. Hopefully with one media?

I always try to keep in mind learn horticulture first, styling later.

Cheers
DSD sends

Great. Hopefully with one media?

I always try to keep in mind learn horticulture first, styling later.

Cheers
DSD sends
Yup, I'll be using a very gritty soil, (not the final bonsai soil) so that it gets a bit more growth and humidity cuz it gets very hot on my balcony in the summer, it is basically a green house although it's open to the air

Good point.

It would be most helpful if you posted images of your juniper at this point so the folks advising can tell what tree they are discussing.

Can you please do this?

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom