Can I build good taper with this specimen?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
ive been eyeing this elm for awhile now and finally decided to have a go. I'm hoping I can build good taper with this but I'm unfamiliar with working with someone that's been chopped like this. Any advice?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 149

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
yeah this can but done ezly - what is needed is a much bigger growing flat and allowed to grow unchecked to heal that wound. Then it'll get cut back once again, allowed to grow, then cut back and so forth. All the while selecting a leader for each new growth. I have an american elm that I have been doing this for the last few years I can take a few pics to show you what I mean. Re-potting will need to wait till spring unless your just slip potting it.

Cute kid btw - if thats you. My daughter just turned 4. Make sure you don't use this technique on kids, despite you wanting them to stay small and cute forever.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yeah this can but done ezly - what is needed is a much bigger growing flat and allowed to grow unchecked to heal that wound. Then it'll get cut back once again, allowed to grow, then cut back and so forth. All the while selecting a leader for each new growth. I have an american elm that I have been doing this for the last few years I can take a few pics to show you what I mean. Re-potting will need to wait till spring unless your just slip potting it.

Cute kid btw - if thats you. My daughter just turned 4. Make sure you don't use this technique on kids, despite you wanting them to stay small and cute forever.
Ya I'd love to see pics. I was thinking I'd need to repot in a training pot, but wasn't sure- so you think it needs repotting to allow it to grow out and heal the wound?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks! Ya that's me and my baby boy, he's 16 months now. I did try it on his hair tho...

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
hahahaha - I have yet to try that - she's daddies little helper in the garden, Got to train them early!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Ya I'd love to see pics. I was thinking I'd need to repot in a training pot, but wasn't sure- so you think it needs repotting to allow it to grow out and heal the wound?

Yes this should be considered pre material - not really bonsai yet

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yep @Giga told it straight. Do what he told you and in a few years, it will be real nice. It has good movement already. Grow, cut back, rinse & repeat.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope you plucked them fungally looking couple leaves on the left a 0790 in that parking lot before you brought it back to your "highly fungally susceptible area"? !

Take no chances ! Burn that bit!

Looks a good start!

I thought MissRom was a girl...
I kept wondering what girls name could be Rom...
Romelda? Eew!

That's another one of those things where a misplaced comma changes things so much...which now includes the sex of our pixelated children!

Gotta stop stuffing up @thumblessprimate1 thread with my kid bragging and just start the Damn thread for it!

:p

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I hope you plucked them fungally looking couple leaves on the left a 0790 in that parking lot before you brought it back to your "highly fungally susceptible area"? !

Take no chances ! Burn that bit!

Looks a good start!

I thought MissRom was a girl...
I kept wondering what girls name could be Rom...
Romelda? Eew!

That's another one of those things where a misplaced comma changes things so much...which now includes the sex of our pixelated children!

Gotta stop stuffing up @thumblessprimate1 thread with my kid bragging and just start the Damn thread for it!

:p

Sorce
She/me/I am a girl lol.o_O
Miss- me, roms(roman's) mami(mommy)- also me :D

And what leaves are fungalicious?!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She/me/I am a girl lol.o_O
Miss- me, roms(roman's) mami(mommy)- also me :D

And what leaves are fungalicious?!

Maybe that one!20170818_045827.jpg

Roman! Good strong name!

We had a kid with that last name on our baseball team, against the "Spartans"... I told em..."youll never beat a Roman!"
Dont put him on the Spartans amd you can use that line too!

Sorry my polish match was a bit off!
:cool:

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh BTW FYI.....

Thumbnails make great leaf removers.
Always where the petiole meets the leaf, pops em right off!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes this should be considered pre material - not really bonsai yet
I forgot to ask, I think I'm going to just take it out and repot without disturbing the roots, but should I go ahead and repot with more akadama mix it's in now or a different soil?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Maybe that one!View attachment 157186
We had a kid with that last name on our baseball team, against the "Spartans"... I told em..."youll never beat a Roman!"
Dont put him on the Spartans amd you can use that line too!
Sorce
Ha! I love it!
And I agree, they definitely come in handy, my on the go pruners :p

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Here are a couple examples. First on is a red maple the is much like yours. It has been cut back and allowed to grow. It'll be done again in spring 2018, repotted and roots worked radially, cut back to the lowest node and allowed to grow once again unchecked other then selecting a new leader. See how the wound is starting to roll over. It will be helped along in spring by making things flush.0817171807.jpg

Here's a elm that has had a few years cutting back. Needs lots of work, but all trees do. And I like elms gangly and huge
0817171801.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I forgot to ask, I think I'm going to just take it out and repot without disturbing the roots, but should I go ahead and repot with more akadama mix it's in now or a different soil?

Best to use a mix that works in your area, the akadama mix sounds good.

Top Bottom