Can I add anything (hydrogen peroxide?) to stagnant rainwater to make it usable?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Many / most goldfish won't touch mosquito larvae. You may get lucky, but probably not. I have tried all kinds of fish to eat mosquito larvae and the only true guarantee is mosquito fish. I have never had a single mosquito fish that didn't LOVE eating mosquitoes. But guppies, swordtails, mollies, bettas, tetras... most won't touch 'em.

Not to beat a horse that’s already prolly dead, but this discussion had me doubting something I’d relied upon working for over a decade.

This spring has been so busy I hadn’t time to get the goldfish until today. There are now so many larvae in my rainwater tanks that they clog the holes on the rosette of my watering can. So I put three feeder goldfish ($1.69 from Petco. Would have bought more but that’s all they had) in each tub and carefully watched. Within a couple of minutes they were all actively attacking and eating the larvae. There are so many larvae it will take a while for these little fish to get the upper hand, but they will win eventually. I don’t really understand how we could have such different experiences, but I’m good as long as it works for me.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
There are now so many larvae in my rainwater tanks that they clog the holes on the rosette of my watering can.

gag.gif

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Perrrrrfect!

And then when they are all stuck halfway out of the holes I run my hand across it slicing them all in half ...

Top Bottom