Can anyone identify this species?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. Last week my boy and I went into the woods for a dig to put together a group planting. ( My first group planting so no making fun of it lol jk)The trees we got are great but I'm not sure of the exact species. I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. And the trees I gathered were in a group of the same trees. Some big (8-9 ft) and some like mine. Here is a couple pics. If ya can give me a idea ide appreciate it. Thanks for your time and input!

Attachments

• IMG_20170423_105500.jpg
    IMG_20170423_105500.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170422_173603.jpg
    IMG_20170422_173603.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20170423_105514.jpg
    IMG_20170423_105514.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 51

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Looks like red spruce to me. I'm in maine and have tons of them. Second guess is balsam fir. But fir tends for the needles to lay flatter across the branch..... A quick Google search should narrow it down for ya

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
My wives father has a couple on his yard I was going g to dig this spring, butttttttt I've already added about 20 new collected larch, and hornbeam to my collection so perhaps they will waitll next year. But yes fat trunk, good bark, fairly short (under 4 ft) and tons of low branching. Very tempting

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fir or a spruce. Probably Douglas fir or Norway spruce (I am not the best tree ID guy)
Hey Bonsai, thanks for your input. I have been talking to Grimmy and he also thought it was a Douglas. Both the Fir and spruce are very common species around my area. Thanks again for the input!

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like red spruce to me. I'm in maine and have tons of them. Second guess is balsam fir. But fir tends for the needles to lay flatter across the branch..... A quick Google search should narrow it down for ya
Hey Soldano, thanks for the I put. I live in PA so the Fies are very common alone with spruce. I'm not sure what kind of spruces are most common here but I'll be checking it out. Thanks again for the input!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Bonsai, thanks for your input. I have been talking to Grimmy and he also thought it was a Douglas. Both the Fir and spruce are very common species around my area. Thanks again for the input!

The issue is that young foliage of the two often look quite similar, while comparing two year growth the needles and branches will have matured and look different. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen :)

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The issue is that young foliage of the two often look quite similar, while comparing two year growth the needles and branches will have matured and look different. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen :)
Ok ya that makes sense. I'm actually going back up to the area where I got them hopefully this weekend. These trees grow in big patches from tiny trees like mine to 7-8-9 foot trees. So this weekend Ill get some snap shots of the mature trees and their foliage. Maybe that will help with identification.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
seriously? its not a fir, its a spruce. douglas fir do look somewhat similar, but the needles are still flat, balsam fir are completely different. this has spruce shoots, spruce buds, and spruce needles. book it.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I may not be 100% correct but I believe Douglas fir only grows west of the rockies. So eliminate that one. And on the east coast red and black spruce are the most common. And it's not balsam fir which is what we have for firs on the east coast. All bets on red, unless they came from a bog then they might be black. So book it red

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a photo of a Doug Fir seedling on the left and an Englemann Spruce seedling on the right. Both are native to the western US and Canada. Spruce have generally shorter denser needles. Sharper too. The real giveaway is the large pointed brown buds the Doug Fir has.IMG_1382.JPG

Top Bottom