Bucida Spinosa starter bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello all,

South Florida rookie who recently got my first bonsai tree after being interested for years. I was told it is a black olive but the nursery didn’t know how old it is or when it was re-potted.

Being new to this I don’t know much about pruning but did read that I should remove small branches that were crossing each other to create space between major branches which I did.

The issue I’m having is deciding what style to go for since it doesn’t appear to have a central trunk past the branches to make the apex. Any suggestions on design ideas would be appreciated.

I started off with it inside in front of a large window and watering daily but read they prefer being outdoors and watered twice a week which I’m trying now.

Any advice on care would also be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6630.jpeg
    IMG_6630.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6631.jpeg
    IMG_6631.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 73

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That root looks amazing and the branches look like a great starting point for ramification as well. The open vase shape is not ideal but if you concentrate on one of the branches e.g. left one, it could be a good starting point for a windswept maybe?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That root looks amazing and the branches look like a great starting point for ramification as well. The open vase shape is not ideal but if you concentrate on one of the branches e.g. left one, it could be a good starting point for a windswept maybe?
Thank you! I was sitting outside and looking at it today and thought something similar.
As much of a shame as it seems to prune the big branches I can’t see another way to style it without choosing a branch to make the trunk and angling the tree.
Was considering maybe trying for a root over rock or something, I have a class scheduled and am going to bring this tree to work on.

I have been wanting to prune branches that cross over each other and shade out inner buds but too nervous to make any drastic changes before someone who knows what they’re doing takes a look at it.

I appreciate your advice and happy thanksgiving.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This species has tight compact foliage with small leaves. It doesn't look like it but, it is related to the buttonwood (conocarpus erectus). It should be treated like a true tropical. Repot in the head of the summer and protect if from the cold (below 50 or so). It demands a lot of water and will be a bit challenging in the dry summers you have in SoCal.

The branches are super brittle and hard to bend. Most of us down here in Florida use the clip and grow method and take advantage of the naturally small internode growth and directional growth habit.

If this was my tree, and I have a few, I would let it grow as much as possible and think about style in a few years when it has some thickness to the trunk.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The branches are super brittle and hard to bend. Most of us down here in Florida use the clip and grow method and take advantage of the naturally small internode growth and directional growth habit.
This^^^
They can be ungainly and frustrating and in northern regions take years to develop, but they are worth it.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
alright if I get one Ill keep that mind, but the OP is in florida my dudes. In coastal S California we get a heavy coating of morning dew each morning especially in summer making it so I dont have to water as often, further east is super dry. Not where I am though

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This species has tight compact foliage with small leaves. It doesn't look like it but, it is related to the buttonwood (conocarpus erectus). It should be treated like a true tropical. Repot in the head of the summer and protect if from the cold (below 50 or so). It demands a lot of water and will be a bit challenging in the dry summers you have in SoCal.

If this was my tree, and I have a few, I would let it grow as much as possible and think about style in a few years when it has some thickness to the trunk.
I’m in South Florida as @hardtimes pointed out but appreciate the advice and have found you are correct.
It’s doing better outside but needs to be watered daily. I missed a few when I was sick and saw leaf droppage/dead buds as a result.
My moister meter arrives today so the I’ll have exact answer on watering in zone 9b soon.

I’ve been listening to podcasts/youtube videos and they all talk about eliminating unneeded branches to encourage growth in wanted places.
My plan as of now as some have suggested is to leave it alone and let it grow but I would like to prune cross branches/downward growth so the time spent growing maximizes development.

The problem is that I’m apprehensive because I don’t feel I know enough to decide which small branches don’t fit. Can anyone recommend anything that will help me learn how to?

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You will be better off waiting until spring to make any major cuts. You can cut the smaller twigs off any time. As for design... what angle gives you the best looking base (nebari)? What angle gives you the best change in direction or interesting line? Start there and the branches that must go should be apparent. If it isn't apparent, look at more trees on this site and others then decide!

Even if you kill it, you can always buy another and learn from your mistakes. I think the most important part, have fun!!

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got one too now. The growth habit is really interesting and I like the little thorns they’re really cool. I’m not worried about its watering needs

Attachments

• IMG_8878.jpeg
    IMG_8878.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8877.jpeg
    IMG_8877.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 22

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m in South Florida as @hardtimes pointed out but appreciate the advice and have found you are correct.
It’s doing better outside but needs to be watered daily. I missed a few when I was sick and saw leaf droppage/dead buds as a result.
My moister meter arrives today so the I’ll have exact answer on watering in zone 9b soon.

I’ve been listening to podcasts/youtube videos and they all talk about eliminating unneeded branches to encourage growth in wanted places.
My plan as of now as some have suggested is to leave it alone and let it grow but I would like to prune cross branches/downward growth so the time spent growing maximizes development.

The problem is that I’m apprehensive because I don’t feel I know enough to decide which small branches don’t fit. Can anyone recommend anything that will help me learn how to?
pruning-bonsai-trees-illustration.jpg

start small if anything, just do one branch then see how it grows

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All of my tropicals have seen 37 F. The two black olives didn't seem to mind at all. If you only have one tree and are really worried maybe put it in a protected area out of the wind at night but I wouldn't put it by a heater or anything.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All of my tropicals have seen 37 F. The two black olives didn't seem to mind at all. If you only have one tree and are really worried maybe put it in a protected area out of the wind at night but I wouldn't put it by a heater or anything.
thanks i only ask because the mirai website says that they should always be kept above 45-50F

Top Bottom