BRT in the room for client

Bonsai_lex

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys, like Chinese elm, ficus, Schefflera, jades, I’ve read that brts can also be inside with the right set up. I have a client who has grow lights in a well lit room for his plants and trees. However this one brt he just purchased from me will be his largest tree and he also wants to place it inside his plant room (not a green house just an extra room in his house where he keeps his trees and plants). His current set up includes these soltech 40 watt plant grow lights. (Link is attached). Any thoughts on these lights? Do any of you recommend any specific light set up or wattage for bonsai? Or do any of you have experience with BRT’s inside your place? I read that you should have the grow lights about 10” inches above the tree, is this too strong and will it burn the tree or is it just fine? Any advice or help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Indoors 365 days/yr? Or just for the winter?
He keeps his trees and plants indoor all year long in his extra room in the house, so he wants to do the same for this one.

I’m sure it can be done if someone wants to go the extra mile to create ideal conditions for it, including temperature and humidity as well as bright light. I overwinter my BRT indoors. I give it plenty of light, but I can tell you that is not enough to keep it happy. Invariably, mine drops the majority of its leaves by the time spring arrives and would undoubtedly die if I kept it indoors year round without more effort directed at creating better conditions for it. It bounces back like a champ as soon as it goes outside in late spring.

Hmmm if you have a client asking a question, and you don’t have experience with it, I would think the professional thing to do would be disclaim that and move on.

There's a member of the Brandywine Bonsai Society who has a snake room that he keeps at 80°F and over 80% humidity. His tropicals grow better indoors in the snake room than when he puts them outside, so he started keeping them indoors year round. Is the plant room the same ambient temperature and humidity as the rest of the house?

Back
Top Bottom