Browning leaves

Devilrocker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My leaves are browning and looked burnt. It's not in full sun and I water pretty much every day. The only thing I can think of is maybe I over fertilized. Is there anything I can do or should do in the future?

Attachments

• PXL_20240810_144729207.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240810_144729207.MP.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 38
It’s possible, but likely would see this root damage issue showing up on lots more leaves. So if it was appears not too bad yet.

What fertilizer and mix vs recommended did you use… and which media? If solid dump most out.

Cheers
DSD sends

A lot of the leaves have this browning. I haven't used any fertilizer in probably 2 weeks but I did use some solid fertilizer, then the next day used liquid. Then it got pretty hot out. So that's why I think I over fertilized.

I don't see any more fertilizer to take out. Ill also hold off on more fertilizer. Anything else I should do though.

When I get burnt leaves in summer it is almost always not enough water or too much sun. Not sure how hot or dry it gets in Bothell or what soil mix your tree is in but watering 'pretty much every day' would certainly not be enough to keep my tridents alive here. I need to water twice each day every day through summer and still get some burnt leaf tips. The longer since repotting the worse the problem gets as roots fill all the spaces where water can sit in the soil. Eventually some pots get so that just watering is not enough and they must be soaked in water to wet the soil enough to get through a hot day.
Fertiliser burn is a possibility but way down on the list of likely culprits IMHO.

OP is in Western Pennsylvania.

@Shibui does bring up a very good question for OP.

How much sun are your tridents actually getting? What media is your tree in? Nursery peat blend or bonsai media…

In Bothell our older Tridents in bonsai media can pull off full sun except for 1st of June to 1st August. But never in full sun if the temperature is above 90F / 32C for more than one day. These are mostly watered twice a day unless the marine layer is in. Then once a day.

Our younger tridents in bonsai media are in early morning sun and late afternoon sun. These are watered twice a day when above 85F /29C

Tridents growing out in the garden beds are getting early morning sun and mid afternoon sun. These only need watering every other day when hot and every 3-4 days otherwise until the rainy season kicks in.

Cheers
DSD sends

The tree is on my south facing porch. But there are large trees that block some of the sun. The medium it is in looks more like a bonsai soil and it does seem like when I water it the water drains out very fast. I have also noticed the soil level has lowered. I know the plant did fall over once and I did lose some medium I wasn't sure if I should add some bonsai soil that I do have.

I really want to repot in a proper bonsai training pot with proper bonsai soil but I know it's out of season to do that. I'm just trying to make sure it survives till spring.

Thanks.

Here are some ideas

- Add more bonsai media for sure add an inch so the tree u is definitely stable plus some. Chopstick gently and water to settle the media in.

- Also move to less sun, or shade with a chair for the hottest part of the day.

Cheers
DSD sends

This is what the medium looks currently. I haven't added any bonsai soil yet. The tree is stable so that's why I wasn't sure if I should add more. When I got the tree the roots were more covered and the soil retained more water. I will move the tree to a more shady spot.

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_224058524.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240811_224058524.MP.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 13
Did you wire it into the pot, that will keep it from falling out or over.

The whole pot fell over during a storm. I'm sorry for the confusion.

The potting mix looks great but half a pot of soil is not much space for water to sit through the day. The roots are not exposed enough to be a problem but a little extra soil will reduce evaporation from the root zone and also add some extra spaces to hold a little more water. I would not fill the pot completely. Tridents love to put out new roots wherever the trunk is buried and those new, upper roots can quickly thicken the trunk and give inverse taper.
Just increase water frequency and maybe an occasional soak in a tub of water to make sure it gets properly wet once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom