Brand new to Bonsai

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m completely brand new to Bonsai, and I’m looking to do my first small Bonsai. I want to do lucky bamboo, fern moss, and stone (more than likely seiryu stone). Where I’m getting a little stuck and unable to find an exact answer, is what kind of mix I should use for lucky bamboo. I assumed based on other posts, that I could do an equal mix of akadama, pumice, and lava rock, but I don’t know if that’s what should be used.

I’m also open to any and all recommendations, whether it be stone, soil, types of moss and other plants, etc.. I would love to expand my knowledge

Nope. It’s not. Next time I’ll Google first. Not sure about lucky bamboo and I don’t see it as bonsai material really. Not enough bark.
Yeah, it’s not traditionally used in bonsai. But it’s low maintenance and other things I’ve read have mentioned it as a good “dip your toe in” kind of plant, as well as other Dracaena varieties. However, if there are other lower maintenance/beginner bamboo/bamboo looking plants that you’d recommend, I’d love to know!

"Lucky Bamboo" is a dracena (Dracena sanderiana-Chinese water bamboo.), part of the asparagus family. It is not a tree, nor is it a bamboo. Nor is it really bonsai--as you can't apply bonsai techniques to it, or techniques used to tame actual bamboo in bonsai plantings (that involves peeling outer leaves away from the corm of the bamboo.).It is an herbaceous perennial plant native to tropical Western Africa. It seems to be grown in water in pots, with pebbles at the bottom.

You will have little luck with any traditional bonsai techniques on it and will not get much help here with it because it's so unusual as a bonsai (more accurately Penjing) subject. You're likely mostly on your own with it.

Last edited:
"Lucky Bamboo" is a dracena (Dracena sanderiana-Chinese water bamboo.), part of the asparagus family. It is not a tree, nor is it a bamboo. Nor is it really bonsai--as you can't apply bonsai techniques to it, or techniques used to tame actual bamboo in bonsai plantings (that involves peeling outer leaves away from the corm of the bamboo.).

You will have little luck with any traditional bonsai techniques on it and will not get much help here with it. You're mostly on your own with it.
What kind of bamboo would you recommend? Like I said, I’m brand new to this and trying to learn.

What kind of bamboo would you recommend? Like I said, I’m brand new to this and trying to learn.
Bamboo is a difficult plant to work with and involves specialized techniques, and knowledgeable timing from what I understand. It is a grass-- not a perennial woody plant (like a tree).

Not many people use it for bonsai because it doesn't really behave in containers well. There are 'clumping" bamboo and "running" bamboo species. There are also timber bamboo and smaller bamboo (the 'switchcane" that grows in the southern states is a native species that stays relatively small--although it still reaches six feet). Pygmy bamboo is among the smallest, but even then, leaves tend to be over six inches and reaches two feet. Clumping species are the easiest to maintain without having to worry about the potential for aggressive invasion by the running types, because the running kind can "escape" containers if left carelessly on the ground or are planted without a substantial two-foot deep, in-ground barrier (steel barriers are the best. the rhizomes pierce plastic pretty easily) for even a day or so. They send out aggressive runners along the ground that root easily and everywhere. Some species have become horribly invasive in the U.S. and are now beginning to be prohibited from sale in some states.

There's no 'easy' species of bamboo to work with. Regular bonsai culturing techniques will not work with any of them. Root restriction and persistent removal of the outer layers of shoots is mostly how can be kept small.

All this said, there are lots of videos on the net saying how easy it is--it ain't, at least if you're after a miniature forest of six -12 inch bamboo. FWIW, the penjing/bonsai that are shown in those videos most always looks extremely odd.

Last edited:
I’ve been in the hobby for 3ish years now. So here’s your answer from someone a step or two ahead of you. Putting bamboo in a pot is not bonsai to us or any real bonsai artist.

However, if you are interested in true bonsai I recommend that you grow 20ish cuttings/ seedlings out of the same species into bonsai. Don’t put them in bonsai pots or make it look like a finished bonsai for the first 5-7 years. Grow them out and work on the roots, and get some movement into the trunks

I think you would be better off finding actual trees to play with. Look around your yard or neighborhood and dig them up and start playing, and if you keep them alive and are still interested in bonsai then start buying trees.

I do want to emphasize that the reason for pushing back on the use of lucky bamboo is to help point the OP towards material more amenable to the bonsai training techniques we’re familiar with. In this vein, some things to look for are:

Woody/barking tissue
Branching growth habits
Fibrous Rooting structures rather than bulb/tuber-based roots.
Growth that remains year to year (rather than dropping for any reason - leaves are fine, but we want our branches to stay where we put them!)

Basically, trees!: elm, maple, hornbeam, hop horn beam, cherry, apple, plum, apricot, peach, cedar, cypress, juniper, pine, etc.

But also: roses, azaleas, lilacs, nippon daisies, sumac, rosemary, quince, ivy, etc.

As a non-pro here, I thought I'd share this resource, which talks about bamboo bonsai. Sure you may not find a lot of people here who can speak to it, but if growing some type of bamboo in a small pot brings you joy, that's all that matters. Seems that other true bamboo types may be more suitable for what you're talking about, as the lucky one apparently isn't actually true bamboo, or something along those lines.

Either way, have fun, and if you're enjoying the process of learning about specifics of a species during your bamboo foray, perhaps check our your local bonsai club, maybe the MIRAI or Esei-En youtube channels, and you may soon find yourself digging through your yard or local nursery in ways you never imagined.

Good luck.

As a non-pro here, I thought I'd share this resource, which talks about bamboo bonsai. Sure you may not find a lot of people here who can speak to it, but if growing some type of bamboo in a small pot brings you joy, that's all that matters. Seems that other true bamboo types may be more suitable for what you're talking about, as the lucky one apparently isn't actually true bamboo, or something along those lines.

Either way, have fun, and if you're enjoying the process of learning about specifics of a species during your bamboo foray, perhaps check our your local bonsai club, maybe the MIRAI or Esei-En youtube channels, and you may soon find yourself digging through your yard or local nursery in ways you never imagined.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Thanks for posting the resources.

Of course the OP should follow what they want to do. My post was probably overly critical, but I've tried exactly what the OP was trying to do. It was great in theory, but in practice, it's frustrating (as frustrating as seeing a photo of dawn redwood passing for bamboo in the title photo slot on the Bonsai Resource page 😁 ).

Thanks for posting the resources.

Of course the OP should follow what they want to do. My post was probably overly critical, but I've tried exactly what the OP was trying to do. It was great in theory, but in practice, it's frustrating (as frustrating as seeing a photo of dawn redwood passing for bamboo in the title photo slot on the Bonsai Resource page 😁 ).
Nice catch! And yeah it's all good, I didn't even realize people did it with true bamboo, but didn't want to turn away a potential convert to the art! There are things I think are frustrating like guitar sweep picking, but some people are naturals, maybe OP is to, you never know 🤔

In Vietnam we'd just grow the lucky bamboo in a low dish of water. Sort of like a small bonsai pot without any drainage holes. Several stalks of the lucky bamboo banded together. The objective is to keep the water level constant. Needs filling up do to mostly evaporation I'd guess. I never fertilize….just plain tap water. The lucky bamboo creates lots of light colored to light brown roots. Easy to grow…but keep the water constant. It’s not really a bonsai tree but still interesting to grow….and good training for monitoring water needs of things growing.

Finally off work so I was able to look through what everyone said. It was extremely insightful, and after a lot of research based on what everyone said, I’ve landed on what I’m going to do. Since a big part of what I want to do is learning arrangements and composition, I plan on buying either a green mound juniper that’s around 5 years old or a Chinese elm that’s around 7 years old. I’m also going to buy 2-3 seedlings and start growing fresh. I don’t have a whole lot of time to go through and respond to everyone, so I thank each and every one of you for being so kind to a complete beginner. I’m excited to start this journey, just wish I had started in my teens rather than 20s haha

Oh, and also, anyone reading this, while I’m going to start researching it, any books on bonsai (any part of it) that are recommended would be greatly appreciated, especially for caring for and growing seedlings!

Finally off work so I was able to look through what everyone said. It was extremely insightful, and after a lot of research based on what everyone said, I’ve landed on what I’m going to do. Since a big part of what I want to do is learning arrangements and composition, I plan on buying either a green mound juniper that’s around 5 years old or a Chinese elm that’s around 7 years old. I’m also going to buy 2-3 seedlings and start growing fresh. I don’t have a whole lot of time to go through and respond to everyone, so I thank each and every one of you for being so kind to a complete beginner. I’m excited to start this journey, just wish I had started in my teens rather than 20s haha

Oh, and also, anyone reading this, while I’m going to start researching it, any books on bonsai (any part of it) that are recommended would be greatly appreciated, especially for caring for and growing seedlings!
Watch Bonsaify on YouTube to learn how to grow seedlings rapidly

Bamboo is a difficult plant to work with and involves specialized techniques, and knowledgeable timing from what I understand. It is a grass-- not a perennial woody plant (like a tree).

Not many people use it for bonsai because it doesn't really behave in containers well. There are 'clumping" bamboo and "running" bamboo species. There are also timber bamboo and smaller bamboo (the 'switchcane" that grows in the southern states is a native species that stays relatively small--although it still reaches six feet). Pygmy bamboo is among the smallest, but even then, leaves tend to be over six inches and reaches two feet. Clumping species are the easiest to maintain without having to worry about the potential for aggressive invasion by the running types, because the running kind can "escape" containers if left carelessly on the ground or are planted without a substantial two-foot deep, in-ground barrier (steel barriers are the best. the rhizomes pierce plastic pretty easily) for even a day or so. They send out aggressive runners along the ground that root easily and everywhere. Some species have become horribly invasive in the U.S. and are now beginning to be prohibited from sale in some states.

There's no 'easy' species of bamboo to work with. Regular bonsai culturing techniques will not work with any of them. Root restriction and persistent removal of the outer layers of shoots is mostly how can be kept small.

All this said, there are lots of videos on the net saying how easy it is--it ain't, at least if you're after a miniature forest of six -12 inch bamboo. FWIW, the penjing/bonsai that are shown in those videos most always looks extremely odd.

I have a bamboo forest that has been growing in my garden for more than 20 years, planted by previous owners. I have the aggressive "running" type that's prohibited in CA now. While it looks pretty, it's a fire hazard due to their flammability. Maintenance is a pain too.

I agree with everything you said. After years trying to see if I could get a decent looking bamboo bonsai, I'm quite skeptical when I see those images on the internet with a picture perfect miniature bamboo forests in bonsai pots. My theory is that they just remove a good looking clump from the landscape, pot it, and take a picture. I'd love to see how that same clump looks after 30, 60 days 😂

What about the tradition ficus of schefflera for your fist go? They are pretty bullet proof, oh and welcome!

Back
Top Bottom