Branch selection?

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A few questions on branch selection/development on material in early stage post collection.

Which should I keep, and which should I remove? Basically what you see is what pushed out after collecting last year.

Should I let all the branches thicken at once, or trim back all branches except the leader to redirect resources to get the leader to thicken ar a faster rate?

Chosen front:
20190611_200936.jpg

Back:
20190611_200951.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chosen front has the scar visible and the new trunk heading away to the back?
To decide which branches to keep you need to decide the final size of this tree and where the major bends are to be. Chosen front does appear to have good trunk movement and good nebari beginning. It could be good if the new apex can come forward at some stage above. What about the exact opposite side of the trunk? That should have the apex leaning forward?

There is no real rush to start choosing branches at this stage. Thin branches like these won't cause problems with localised thickening or leave scars when they are removed. I think the branch that's wired toward the front, just below the cut, is probably in the way of good design from this side. The lowest right branch (unwired) will probably go too eventually.
I would concentrate on building ramification on the branches you have, especially any you know you'll keep. Removing redundant ones can be done later.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the reply. I see your points, I guess I just went with the strongest leader. I could always re chop to the next branch down that's wired as you mention.

Or I could rotate the tree 180 but the nebari isn't as formed on that side.

Top Bottom