Bougie Styling Question

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi! It's after midnight and I have insomnia. I thought I'd share one of my trees in development. This is a Pink Pixie from a cutting. I've been letting it go for over a year now, just slip potting it into larger container when necessary. I think it's getting ready to start it's spring growth spurt, and I'm thinking about some pruning to direct growth.
potential cuts.jpg I don't know how that s-curve formed, I sure didn't do it. It may have been the weight of the upper trunk last summer. I was thinking of cutting it back at #1, with a planting angle change of course and growing it out. Or, cut #2 and wiring the left hand branch down and around into more of a semi-cascade or something, maybe more like a literati with upward movement.

I would of course root any trunk sections removed because hey, more trees.

Can anyone see any potential options that I don't see? Maybe try to compress the curve into a tighter bend or something?

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, should I remove the old leaves where all those new buds are popping to allow them more light?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Why not? Cut at # 1 and let it grow for a couple of years. You can get at least 4 more cuttings out of what you take off. You will likely get some nice back budding below it also.

I would add, unless you are going for a broom or formal upright, never repot the trunk vertical. I would say this could be much better if you gave it about 30 degrees like so:ppboug.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, should I remove the old leaves where all those new buds are popping to allow them more light?

Sounds good. At least the ones you will eventually use.

As soon as I know I'm keeping a bud for a branch on these trees that keep old leaves..I remove the leaf....

They create "your avatar" when left on.
Slightly...it it bugs me.....

Mostly ficus...

But really close nodes like you have make it worse....
Opposite growth, boug?, Boxwoods...even worse.

Why not try .to root .this right. Below the bend? Get a quick curve.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you wish for it to thicken...cutting it now defeats that purpose. You need to let it run much longer in my opinion. It's not ready to be cut back yet. Mine is full of curves. I also let mine grow out a lot more before trimming. What happens is it will offer up back budding then and help offer more styles to choose from. That long new branch could toss out more branching from along its length if left to run.

My pink pixie.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/bougainvillea-cascade-new-front.26981/

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@Ironbeaver at the end of the day, do what you want. Big boug cuts tend to need carving as they don't heal fantastically well so you just need to decide what you want. If you want subtle natural bends, a slower path to thickening is what you want. This means more trunk chops and much more time. So you have to decide your goals for it. I prefer more chops and more natural bends.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I get what your saying @milehigh_7 ...I just think being a northern, our growing period isn't as long. When we bring them indoors...at least for me...they stall for a bit. I have a friend in Florida and mine doesn't grow near to the degree hers does. I guess that is where my thought process came from. But...you make valid points. I am growing out a cutting...we shall see how it goes. I was going to do clip and grow with it. Keeping it a smaller tree all together.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was going to do clip and grow with it. Keeping it a smaller tree all together.

This is a conclusion I have come to, at least with my mini thai's, clip and grow all the way. Maybe a little coaxing with weights or wires but wiring is tough to do on them without causing damage. On the bigger species with longer growth I can wire a bit easier but it is still squeaky bum time.

Top Bottom