boquila trifoliolata

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Not bonsai, but definitely fascinating. Anyone care to discuss or theorize on the mechanisms through which this vine mimics it's host trees? Or what it means about plant intelligence or sentience, or how much we are still fumbling in the dark ourselves in the science of horticulture? Should be a fun one!

trial and error? morphogenetic fields? photosynthetic "sight"? v.o.c's? mycorrhizae? what are your thoughts on this one of a kind plant?

It's definitely interesting, but I'd need to do some research before putting forth my opinion on it.

Aaron

Understood. Not sure I have a concrete opinion myself. I tend to think Occam's razor (in this case I believe that to be trial and error of growth patterns) is usually the way to go, but this case appears to be so unique I am willing to entertain literally any theory. Not sure any of us will crack this nut (!) but it at least promises to be thought provoking. :)

Edible berries and white flowers. It's a woody vine and looks like some people have seeds for sale in the UK, although that seems open to debate. Hardy to zone 7. Maybe it could be a bonsai. A flavor of the month bonsai imposter?

What's the deal with it?
You say it mimics it's host tree?..
Sounds very weird, I'm ignorant to it.
Under the leaves in the pics?
Can it grow on it's own?

What's the deal with it?
You say it mimics it's host tree?..
Sounds very weird, I'm ignorant to it.
Under the leaves in the pics?
Can it grow on it's own?
The T and V in the photos are Tree and Vine for comparison. Here is a good article to get acquainted with it. - “Its versatile leaves can change their size, shape, color, orientation, even the vein patterns to match the surrounding foliage.” http://phenomena.nationalgeographic...aky-life-of-the-worlds-most-mysterious-plant/

Cool information there, in the link...
I wonder what it would look like, just by itself, in a pot...
Very interesting indeed.

Back
Top Bottom