BonsaiRae's Acorn to Oak Tree Thread

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
After sorting through 100ish mystery acorns gifted to me, and hours of watching professional planters (squirrels), I am now awaiting spring with fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 1000003046.jpg
    1000003046.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1000003045.jpg
    1000003045.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1000003144.jpg
    1000003144.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 8
Do you know are they all the same species?

They were collected as a gift so my guess is they are all the same. I anticipate they are either white oak or red oak. Just waiting for spring, and it seems a long ways off.😉

I know I cant wait for mine to sprout too. I potted them back in september and its my first time with acorns.

My first time with acorns too. I have appreciated bonsai for years and getting into the hobby is very complex, but fun.
My real challenge is getting the correct substrate when I go to repot trees. I plan on leaving these for a good year or two if they sprout.

My first time with acorns too. I have appreciated bonsai for years and getting into the hobby is very complex, but fun.
My real challenge is getting the correct substrate when I go to repot trees. I plan on leaving these for a good year or two if they sprout.
Substrate is still very challenging to me. I'm not helping things by growing alot of stuff from seed as well. I potted the acorns in a simple mix of horticultural grit and compost but I have been experimenting with grittier stuff for pines.

I put mine in the Anderson flat with some perlite and miracle grow soil I had on hand, put a chunk of hardware cloth as a cover, and buried it in my raised garden bed.
The squirrels love to plant walnuts in my raised garden beds so I figured they knew what they are doing. Lol

I put mine in the Anderson flat with some perlite and miracle grow soil I had on hand, put a chunk of hardware cloth as a cover, and buried it in my raised garden bed.
The squirrels love to plant walnuts in my raised garden beds so I figured they knew what they are doing. Lol
I'm actually actively trying to invite squirrels to my garden but i live in a small town and don't think there even are any in the area.

Back
Top Bottom