Bonsai Wire Pitch on Branch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Distance between each wire segment is one finger width. Is this accurate?

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 16
I generally hear wire spacing discussed in terms of an angle. A 60° angle is considered best by many, though of course it will vary based on branch locations/thickness, detail wiring locations, and other things.
20230805_161521.jpg
Here's a "Goldilocks" image for spacing, with the "just right" in the middle (photo taken from Jonas Dupuich's fantastic book--check out his blog on BonsaiTonight.com).

The phrase my teacher drilled into my head, which you may recognize from Ryan Neil, is "same spacing, same angle, no gaps."

I generally hear wire spacing discussed in terms of an angle. A 60° angle is considered best by many, though of course it will vary based on branch locations/thickness, detail wiring locations, and other things.
View attachment 501505
Here's a "Goldilocks" image for spacing, with the "just right" in the middle (photo taken from Jonas Dupuich's fantastic book--check out his blog on BonsaiTonight.com).

The phrase my teacher drilled into my head, which you may recognize from Ryan Neil, is "same spacing, same angle, no gaps."
Ryan preaches 45-55 degree angle and like you said, same spacing same angle.

Distance between each wire segment is one finger width. Is this accurate?
Definitely not accurate except on branches a little under finger thick.
Wire pitch is an angle as discussed above. That means the turns will be closer on thin material and further apart on thicker branches/trunks.
I'd probably err on the side of too close than too far apart as wired help support against breaking.

Back
Top Bottom