Bonsai scissors / shears crossing tips

Unagi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Everyone, I am a beginner, and I am wondering how important it is for bonsai scissors / shears to have crossing tips? I bought a few tools online, and one scissor has crossing tips, the other one doesn't have.

To be honest, I like the look of the one that doesn't cross better, moreover, I tested it with paper, and it cuts even on the very tip perfectly. What I afraid of is that when I start to sharpen it, or maybe X years later, it will come lose this perfectly matching tip while the other scissor just become like this one.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 10
This is normal for quality bonsai scissors, see the picture and text in the image below (last picture and text).

This is found on the website of Kaneshin bonsai tools.
Link: https://bonsai-tool.com/index_en_JPY_7-160.html

trimming_scissors_all_en.jpg

Hi ShimpakuBonsai, thanks for the answer. Sorry if my question was not clear, I wanted to ask how big issue it is if they don't cross.

All bonsai scissors have crossing blades and some cross like mentioned in the image.
You can also call it bypass scissors or pruners and you also have anvil pruners which don't cross at all.
Just Google on the terms and it will be clear to you (I think).

I see, I didn't know the name of the anvil pruners. However, strictly speaking about the two scissors I linked, if one doesn't have crossing tips, what are the consequences of that?
My guess is that, nothing currently (they cut fine on the tips), but, in the future, after I sharpened them a bit, the tips might not close properly because the edge of the sides will move closer to the sicker side of the blades.

I see, I didn't know the name of the anvil pruners. However, strictly speaking about the two scissors I linked, if one doesn't have crossing tips, what are the consequences of that?
My guess is that, nothing currently (they cut fine on the tips), but, in the future, after I sharpened them a bit, the tips might not close properly because the edge of the sides will move closer to the sicker side of the blades.

If, in the future, the blades don't cut all the way to the tip: clamp the blades closed and pull outwards on the handles - very slightly bending the handles outward - they will now cross again.

In other words, don't worry about it; it can be fixed.

If, in the future, the blades don't cut all the way to the tip: clamp the blades closed and pull outwards on the handles - very slightly bending the handles outward - they will now cross again.

In other words, don't worry about it; it can be fixed.
I didn't think that was possible, but it makes sense. Thank you, that indeed calmed me down. :)

Back
Top Bottom