Bonsai on the world stage

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Saw this from the G7 in Hiroshima. Powerful pines. Interesting container choices? Cool to see next to world leaders.
(Not a political post, just the pics I found which best showed the trees) View attachment 489759View attachment 489760

I have seen the bonsai in display at the opening. Interesting, but...
It's Japan!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
JBP? Needles are really quite large though. Nice trunk on the one to Biden’s left. Neither seems to have been styled for display up top recently, though. I’d guess that nobody wanted to have their priceless show-ready Kokufu tree thoroughly inspected by the untrained hands of Secret Service agents.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I don't think those pines are really intended to be bonsai. They're just picturesque pines in containers to be used a props. I'm guessing the venue where this event was held got the pines as rentals from a nursery that specializes in event greenery and not a bonsai nursery. Trade show and event venues in the U.S., at least, typically have vendors who rent greenery out.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd also guess inside those ceramic pots are simple nursery containers, possibly even plastic. The "soil" on top is merely dressing if you look closely. The pots were chosen to match the blue background, which they do very well. They're not meant to be bonsai containers, just props that blend, but also bring some symbolism--adding some gravity to the speakers. Gnarled pines, in Japan, are associated with longevity, good fortune and steadfastness.

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Beautiful pots. Pretty sure they're shigaraki pots if anyone is interested. The glaze, the feet, and the rope-like details are signature of this one maker, I forgot his name but I know its from shigaraki. They stopped shipping them to the US some time ago. I tried getting a few but they're a bit pricey.

1684886621338.png1684886629357.png

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
At least put them conifers in unglazed pots lol.

Top Bottom