Bonsai Enclosure

TeensyTrees

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all! My wife and I are relatively new to bonsai and have grown our collection significantly in the last couple of years. We want to build some type of enclosure to protect our trees from the harsh climate Oklahoma offers (7b). Wind, extreme summer temperatures, and violent thunderstorms are the primary foes we’re attempting to mitigate.

After some reading, I have seen mixed results on greenhouse use in our area. It seems like temperature is difficult to maintain and often causes transpiration issues. Do any of you pros have suggestions for an enclosure that would create a safer environment for our trees without requiring an energy-sucking climate control system?

Thank you in advance!

Not a pro. By any measure. But there are a lot of options. You're going to have to have answers ready for certain questions.
How big?
What materials?
How much do you want to spend?
Where will it be located? (shade, partial shade, full sun, etc.)
Will it be insulated?
What kind/how much ventilation?
Permanent or temporary?

I grew up not far from Lake Texoma, but south of the Red River. If you're in the western part of the state, then you probably want to increase humidity, depending of course on your species. It will need to be sturdy enough to stand up to the wind, while allowing ventilation at the same time.
In the eastern part of the state, humidity is likely higher, so ventilation won't be as tricky; that is, you can have plenty of airflow without drying out the air inside.

Apologies for mobile formatting in advance.

12x8 should be sufficient.

Full sun - there is little to no shade to use on our lot.

I’d like to keep the total cost of the enclosure around $3,000 as there will be cost involved in preparing the ground.

I am not opposed to insulating the enclosure but hadn’t baked that cost into the price (or put much thought into it.

I have some fans that could be use for ventilation, but am happy to buy new hardware if needed.

Permanent would be ideal. We’ve spent enough time gardening a variety of plants to know this will be a long-term endeavor.

Last edited:
To be more specific, we are on the west side of OKC - central Oklahoma with some wild microclimate blend of both east and west.

Another question...
...what kind of trees will you be protecting? If you have locally hardy species, the need for protection isn't quite as urgent. But if you have any that aren't adapted to your climate, these are the ones you want to protect. I'm familiar with the storms you are referring to. There are solutions to mitigate those that don't involve a greenhouse- to an extent.

To be more specific, we are on the west side of OKC - central Oklahoma with some wild microclimate blend of both east and west.
Ah, yes. OKC - the city if perpetual road construction! Lol
Drove through twice a year to visit family in Kansas.

Right now we have Bald Cypress, Sand Cherry bush, a couple varieties of juniper, and a couple of Japanese Maples. I need to lock down the scientific names for these but have not just yet. I am leaning towards native-hardy trees but my wife wants more freedom to grow “whatever she wants”. I know there will not be a one size fits all solution for this, but I’m hopeful to find some middle ground to idealize climate and protect from wind and harsh sun.

Ah, yes. OKC - the city if perpetual road construction! Lol
Drove through twice a year to visit family in Kansas.
You’re not lying - we moved to the west for 10 years then moved back to help out aging parents with their day-to-day. There was some construction active when we left that is still ongoing. Incredible use of state funds!

I can tell you from experience, your JMs will need protection from the hot, dry winds. I've learned from a lot of people here that the best way to know what kinds of trees will do well is to pay attention to what is growing in yards and parks in your neighborhood.
If you don't see it nearby, there's a chance that the species in question will require extra effort.

Not a pro. By any measure. But there are a lot of options. You're going to have to have answers ready for certain questions.
How big?
What materials?
How much do you want to spend?
Where will it be located? (shade, partial shade, full sun, etc.)
Will it be insulated?
What kind/how much ventilation?
Permanent or temporary?
Apologies for mobile formatting in advance.

12x8 should be sufficient.

Full sun - there is little to no shade to use on our lot.

I’d like to keep the total cost of the enclosure around $3,000 as there will be cost involved in preparing the ground.

I am not opposed to insulating the enclosure but hadn’t baked that cost into the price (or put much thought into it).

I have some fans that could be use for ventilation, but am happy to buy new hardware if needed.

Permanent would be ideal. We’ve spent enough time gardening a variety of plants to know this will be a long-term endeavor.

Anything that isn't hardy for 7b will need winter protection. OK gets mighty cold from time to time. If you have tropicals, they should be ok outdoors as long as lows remain above 45° to 50°. Some thrive in high humidity. I have some teensy Ficus that I have in a large cheeseball jar with a bit of aquarium gravel in the bottom. I keep the small pots on top of the gravel and just enough water to keep the humidity high. Basically, it's a cheap plastic terrarium. In 6 weeks, roots are coming out of the bottoms of the larger pots they were transferred into. It's not about cost, it's about design, construction, and efficiency.
Hopefully, someone with more knowledge and/or wisdom of such things will answer your questions more completely and competently.

20240707_071536.jpg

Attachments

• 20240707_071437.jpg
    20240707_071437.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240707_071609.jpg
    20240707_071609.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1
I would look into shadecloth and some form of wind-breaker and grow species that do well in your climate. Then invest in a good watering system so that when it gets hot and windy when you are not around, it kicks in and waters the trees if needed. I absolutely do not try to grow in a greenhouse. Controlling climatic variables is a hobby in itself which I would say makes growing trees all the more dificult.

I would look into shadecloth and some form of wind-breaker and grow species that do well in your climate. Then invest in a good watering system so that when it gets hot and windy when you are not around, it kicks in and waters the trees if needed. I absolutely do not try to grow in a greenhouse. Controlling climatic variables is a hobby in itself which I would say makes growing trees all the more dificult.
I agree with this. I have a greenhouse attached to the east sde of my house, and even with a ventilation system and shadecloth it's too hot for anything but tropicals.
I'm in 7B, and don't have any issues over-wintering as long as I heel the larger pots into the ground a bit and mulch heavily around everything.
I do have shade trees for afternoon summer shade protection and I have shrubs to the west for protection from harrsh winter winds.
As an architect (and somewhat familiar with OK, TX, and NM), I would suggest a trellis or pergola running North/South on the West side of your property with fencing or lattice to about 4 feet height on the West. The fencing/lattice can buffer the winds (could also use snow fencing or silt fence fabric); and the overhead trellis can support shade cloth of whatever density is appropriate to the trees you are growing.
Given your budget, this could start small and then be extended as your collection expands.

And the wiser have spoken. These two are good sources; they definitely know what they're talking about.

I agree with this. I have a greenhouse attached to the east sde of my house, and even with a ventilation system and shadecloth it's too hot for anything but tropicals.
I'm in 7B, and don't have any issues over-wintering as long as I heel the larger pots into the ground a bit and mulch heavily around everything.
I do have shade trees for afternoon summer shade protection and I have shrubs to the west for protection from harrsh winter winds.
As an architect (and somewhat familiar with OK, TX, and NM), I would suggest a trellis or pergola running North/South on the West side of your property with fencing or lattice to about 4 feet height on the West. The fencing/lattice can buffer the winds (could also use snow fencing or silt fence fabric); and the overhead trellis can support shade cloth of whatever density is appropriate to the trees you are growing.
Given your budget, this could start small and then be extended as your collection expands.
Thank you for the input and guidance! I think we have landed on a pergola with some shade cloth and lattice.

Back
Top Bottom