Bonsai auctions...Korean Hornbeam

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have pondered the purchase of this tree. It has an amazing great start to be something more. But...I'm drawn to feminine trees for the most part. Upon learning this tree has begun getting a desirable characteristics of fluting on the front. That said...I've mulled it over. And fluting at this time seems to masculine for me. So...I've chewed this pondering enough. If I am not going to bid. I thought maybe another might be interested. Thus...ulterior motive...I can watch it develop. I hope I don't later regret the purchase slipping through my fingers...that would be bittersweet. But...I would hope to see it further along on another's bench.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonsai.auctions/permalink/760541464126631/

FB_IMG_1491507000266.jpg FB_IMG_1491506996043.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I already have 2 large hornbeam, BUT you can buy it for me and then live vicariously through me? :D

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes they can be fussy newly collected and prone to die back if not sealed, and a little weaker in back budding. Other then that they are great tree's

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cadillactaste I had some growing and it seems they grew great until I disturbed the roots.I guess if I grew them I would make sure they were in great bonsai soil and not the potting soil I used.And some seedlings from International Bonsai never caught on either,brown edges around leaves.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste I had some growing and it seems they grew great until I disturbed the roots.I guess if I grew them I would make sure they were in great bonsai soil and not the potting soil I used.And some seedlings from International Bonsai never caught on either,brown edges around leaves.

I must admit...the tree species itself I've not researched much. Until I seen the top of that tree. It's movement caught my eye. But...I'm not so sure I feel quite as questioning my decision learning it's a challenges. im actually glad I shared...I learned a bit more from doing so. As well as seeing how well Judy worked though it. I have more respect for her KH's on her bench now.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You really can't have too many Hornbeam, just ask Maros! fabulous species to work with, however im not very familiar with the Korean Hornbeam. you can hit the roots quite hard on Carpinus Betulus and they dont bat an eyelid.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This page confused me terribly! I was already a member of "Bonsai Auctions", but that is a different page with the same name! You'd think he would have thought of something slightly different... I wasn't even on this one yet til you posted the link so thanks!

That said... this is a nice tree! It seems everyone has dramatically different ideas of the value of bonsai so I won't comment on my opinion of the price.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This page confused me terribly! I was already a member of "Bonsai Auctions", but that is a different page with the same name! You'd think he would have thought of something slightly different... I wasn't even on this one yet til you posted the link so thanks!

That said... this is a nice tree! It seems everyone has dramatically different ideas of the value of bonsai so I won't comment on my opinion of the price.

The name confused me as well. Being a member of one...then I thought it closed and another opened. It makes sense why...I can't sometimes find a particular auction on Bonsai Auctions. No doubt all along I was on the wrong one trying to find what caught my eye on the other. Crazy confusing...

I'm told KH are more valuable. Assuming like chojboni quince (most likely butchered the spelling.) Maybe because of their slow growing you pay for a more mature tree? No clue...don't plan on trying to figure it out. But the movement in the trunk caught my eye. Honestly...I don't know much about them.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

There was a contentious breakup of one of the Facebook auctions that led to the two auctions having the same name with neither side giving way.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There was a contentious breakup of one of the Facebook auctions that led to the two auctions having the same name with neither side giving way.

Ahhh I wasn't sure what brought it on. Stubborn to keep both the same name...and confusing. But it explains when I lost an auction by not finding it in the group auction. Surly I was in the wrong group looking for it. So my error...

Reactions: Vin

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We had a bunch of new members signing up at Bonsai Auctions so I thought I'd pop my head in and see if it was the hornbeam. Darlene mentioned she might post it here for opinions.

Hey Judy, how are your trees?

And yes the other Bonsai Auctions which is really bonsai sales if you look at the URL uses the name I came up with for https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonsai.auctions the real Bonsai Auctions. Won't get into it more then that here. ;). Good to see you all looks like there is still a lot of interesting threads on bonsai nut. I'll have to participate more often.

Cadillactaste. I'm working on rooting a batch of cuttings from that tree, if they root you're welcome to one!

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We had a bunch of new members signing up at Bonsai Auctions so I thought I'd pop my head in and see if it was the hornbeam. Darlene mentioned she might post it here for opinions.

And yes the other Bonsai Auctions which is really bonsai sales if you look at the URL uses the name I came up with for https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonsai.auctions the real Bonsai Auctions. Won't get into it more then that here. ;). Good to see you all looks like there is still a lot of interesting threads on bonsai nut. I'll have to participate more often.

Ben, I tried to sign up twice for the bonsai auctions group to take a look at the hornbeam but the request was not accepted both times. Is this group not accepting new members right now? Thanks!

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Pm me your profile name I'll get you added.you may have an invisible profile to people not your friends or a brand new one. I screen user accounts to prevent spammers on the site so if I can't see much I ignore the request.

Top Bottom