Bonsai at work…

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can't. I'm going to be spending the weekend staying with my sister.

Don't worry, I'll find room. I have a clown car!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can't. I'm going to be spending the weekend staying with my sister.

Don't worry, I'll find room. I have a clown car!
I found room in the "under trunk". That's the storage space that's under the false floor of the trunk. That's where I usually hide my pots.

No, not that kind of pot!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
IMG_0377.JPG The groundskeeper at the hospital I work at gave me the heads up that one section of landscape was going to be dug up and discarded next week and that I should take home anything good before it disappears. This azalea is my first lunch break hospital yamadori! Hopefully there will be many more to come... Since it was pouring rain and a windstorm I took pics in the back of my car in the parking garage. Now back to work!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted recently into a Bigei lotus pot. Thinning and wiring out the foliage to build smaller pads.
View attachment 141908 View attachment 141909
Looking pretty good, Dave!! Is that a San Jose?

You're brave trying to reuse that copper. Unless you annealed it. Your coils are a little too long. That is, the wire runs down the branch too much. You need try to keep the angle at about 45 degrees. You're down there less than 30 degrees some places. Which means that sometimes the wire is on the inside of the curve, not the outside, so, it's easy to snap a branch when bending it.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood wiring Nazi!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looking pretty good, Dave!! Is that a San Jose?

You're brave trying to reuse that copper. Unless you annealed it. Your coils are a little too long. That is, the wire runs down the branch too much. You need try to keep the angle at about 45 degrees. You're down there less than 30 degrees some places. Which means that sometimes the wire is on the inside of the curve, not the outside, so, it's easy to snap a branch when bending it.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood wiring Nazi!
Heh heh! Sharp eyes, Adair! All reclaimed copper wire reclaimed over the last 18 months and re-annealed on my grill... goes on like butter!
Agree on the wiring... kinda:). The shallow curves are there in spots, but the branches won't be bent there. In fact, some of the shallow curves were done so that the wire would be placed behind an existing curve to accentuate it. Fwiw, it looks better in person, but you can still rip me apart when you see it sometime, though:D.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Heh heh! Sharp eyes, Adair! All reclaimed copper wire reclaimed over the last 18 months and re-annealed on my grill... goes on like butter!
Agree on the wiring... kinda:). The shallow curves are there in spots, but the branches won't be bent there. In fact, some of the shallow curves were done so that the wire would be placed behind an existing curve to accentuate it. Fwiw, it looks better in person, but you can still rip me apart when you see it sometime, though:D.
It's looking good, your wiring is good, we all have room for improvement! Boon still points out places I could have done better... Even though he says I wire better than most of his students!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a scrap wire box you keep 2nd use wire in? Is it a crime to reuse, especially on raw stuff like wiring the next new leader up? I'd be interested if anyone recycles wire like I do.
You skipped a couple of posts, I think:). The answer is only a few posts above this one.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been taught to wire at 55-60 degrees. It's more efficient, looks better because the wire is less obtrusive, and works great for bending.
Actually, you’re right. The books always said 45. Most people, if they try to do 45 actually make 60 degree spirals.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like lil bro...
I do, too. He's hard to manage though, because keeping the foliage in scale with the trunk usually means a hard cut back which causes the foliage to revert to needles. This year, I'm cutting back in stages in the hopes of keeping the scale foliage happy.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tends to be slow at work this time of year, so I get to spend some time today with this little beauty I picked up at the silhouette show… Thanks @Adair M!
View attachment 169679 View attachment 169680
Glad to see you made it home safely!

I think that one will fit right into your drop branch collection!

It’s kind of the small version of the tree I brought home from Kannapolis:

0C15AF1D-DAC4-44BB-B015-F32C98616B29.jpeg

It created somewhat of a sensation when Tyler brought it in to the vendor section from what I understand. Kirby had let it tag along for the ride when he brought a bunch of his and Tyler’s trees east. And Tyler brought it down south when he got his trees from Kirby. So Kannapolis was an easy place to swap it off. 0C15AF1D-DAC4-44BB-B015-F32C98616B29.jpeg

Top Bottom