Bonsai-A-Thon XXII, San Marino, CA February 24-25, 2018

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've kept in contact with my student from the workshop. A lot of people start their first bonsai from events like these then proceed to kill the tree. I gave her a lot of info and basic horticultural care and she seems keen on learning more and getting involved with the clubs. Good to see a brand new bonsai enthusiast in it for the long haul. I also found a before picture taken by someone else.

28423471_10155364632527006_3884886131067753134_o.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just curious how much this sold for? And who is Ians nemesis???

It apparently didn't sell (?) Sounds like they were keeping it on display as a traffic generator and put the "sold" sign on it to stop people asking about it. The same tree was on sale at the GSBF show and at the time I think they were asking $500 for it. It is Ian's nemesis because it is a plant he particularly wants... but it was too expensive and he was trying to talk himself into spending the money :) We have all been there. Fortunately on day two of the GSBF show it was no longer there - and when I asked about it, I was told it had been sold... so who knows? A tree with a mystery...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It apparently didn't sell (?) Sounds like they were keeping it on display as a traffic generator and put the "sold" sign on it to stop people asking about it. The same tree was on sale at the GSBF show and at the time I think they were asking $500 for it. It is Ian's nemesis because it is a plant he particularly wants... but it was too expensive and he was trying to talk himself into spending the money :) We have all been there. Fortunately on day two of the GSBF show it was no longer there - and when I asked about it, I was told it had been sold... so who knows? A tree with a mystery...
Well it's on my list, and I'm sure on many other folks lists as well.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Love that Foemina...!...
Funny, to me it’s everything I don’t like about a lot of foeminas I see - the pads look like little loafs or muffins or something?! lol. I like them a little more wild. Don’t get me wrong, it’s beautifully executed (it’s a Ben Oki tree) - just not my style.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautyberry is on my list as well. Hard to find. Harder to find priced right.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We were talking the other day about whether bonsai is an expensive hobby. Nothing expensive about this show! Admission to the gardens is free for club members. Workshops are $25 - and includes a tree! Tour is free, demos are free, vending area is free. And the pancake breakfast costs $3!

View attachment 179271

Always on the prowl... I spotted this interesting Chinese elm growing in a crack at the garage door by the pancake breakfast grill. One wonders how it got there?

View attachment 179272

Bonsai workshop! Every table staffed by at least one volunteer - great hands-on personal attention!

View attachment 179273

Kids workshop - where the younger children could do a workshop with their parents. Great way to get people involved in the art at any early age!

View attachment 179274

Garden tour. Always learn something new about how the gardens are changing and growing.

View attachment 179275

From behind the Chinese garden. They are in the process of expanding this area by about 60% - adding a penjing area as well as a new observation pavilion. Things look a little sparce because it is still winter.

View attachment 179276

A calm image from one of the waterfalls in the Japanese garden.

View attachment 179277

Another view of the Japanese garden.

View attachment 179278

One of our own - @maria kapra (aka Peter Macasieb) demoing a shohin JBP.

View attachment 179279

Five demos going on at the same time... for those with limited attention spans! Saturday's artists were: Mel Ikeda, Cesareao Perez, Tom Vuong, Peter Macasieb, and David Miles/Gonzalo Rodriguez.

View attachment 179280

@Si Nguyen and I were only able to stay about half of the day, so we missed out on the raffle. Got to see lots of bonsainuts and old bonsai friends - and picked up a nice root over rock trident from Ed and Linda Clark. @ColinFraser was busier than even last year - with some sweet (and I thought very reasonably priced) shohin JBP and olives in show-ready condition.

Every year this event seems to get a little larger and a little nicer. Just a great time! If you live in the area try to make it up there today!
Love the Kid Workshop concept, great decision by the organizing committee.

Top Bottom