Blue Spruce Dormancy Requirements?

worldjetty

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all!

I live in Southern California (zone 10a) and recently picked up a Colorado Blue Spruce on sale at a local big-box store with the idea of making it a bonsai. Upon researching the species, however, I discovered that it is recommended for zones 2-7 or 2-8. I didn't think about it when I bought the tree, as I assumed a tree sold in SoCal would be able to survive in the area. Will this tree survive in my climate that doesn't have a real winter?

If it does have a dormancy requirement, I read that trees can be kept in a refrigerated environment at just above freezing for 6 weeks to satisfy their dormancy needs. I have a chest freezer with a thermostat control that I can use for this purpose, but the tree will not fit in its current state with a nursery pot. I will need to move it to a bonsai pot and reduce the apex a bit to get it to fit (I would have reduced the apex regardless for stylistic reasons). So my second question: if the tree needs a cold dormant period, when should I repot and when should I reduce the apex? Based on what I've read it seems that the tree will be able to survive another winter without dormancy. I was thinking of styling this year and repotting the next, which will allow me to give it cold dormancy in winter 2019.

Thanks for the advice! I have been an avid gardener for many years but this is my first attempt at bonsai.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm originally from MA and CBS grew everywhere and did just fine. I will see them here in the landscape north of Atlanta where I live now. They do ok here but don't appear as vigorous or healthy as they did up north. I'm afraid SoCal would be a no go for CBS due to unmet chill needs through the winter.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drive around town. See if growing in yards will answer question. Could also ask nurseries same question. Personally do not like stickery tree so no spruce answers;).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve always understood that pines require cold dormancy....and outdoor light even during dormancy. I’m not to sure about the freezer idea. However....I have also never tried isolating a pine tree from all light during dormancy.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would also say no-go in 10a Southern California due to lack of winter chill.

The refrigerator idea might work, but the duration would have to be more like 3-4 months to be effective and I am not sure a dormant, chilled but not frozen conifer could live with zero light for an extended length of time. Also, the freezer is too cold and wouldn't work in this situatuon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It was too balls cold for them to ship many here this year....

So they shipped em all to you'se!

Morons! Greedy freaking Morons!

Sorce

worldjetty

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll be fighting an uphill battle trying to keep a Blue Spruce alive in my area.

I got the freezer idea from Evergreen Gardenworks, which put forth the 6-week time frame and claims that light is not necessary during dormancy.
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I have no idea how, but my spruce lives in zone 11 with no freezing.

If the nights are cold enough, you may be able to keep it outside.

I'd like to see pictures too!

Top Bottom