Black Pine Seedling Cuttings

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First time I read it I didn't go back far enough. Read through the whole thing this time! Thanks for all the great information. I'll be starting several of my own in the spring.
Excellent - it is definitely worthwhile. I’ve got a good batch of two year olds and one year olds. I’ll be starting another batch this winter.

IMG_0939.jpeg

- S

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks again! I have a few 2-year-old JBPs that are going to be about ready soon. Also have some nice rocks I got from our local shop.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A bending exercise. An OK tree. Nice roots, but the trunk is straight with no taper. The whole tree needs to be closer to the rock. I tried grafting it a couple of years ago, but the graft failed. This year, I think that I will bend it. IMG_0347.jpegIMG_0348.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
To bend, I placed a brace between the tree and the pot at the point I wanted to make the bend. I wired the brace to the pot and wired a piece of rebar to the upper trunk to use as a lever arm. I clamped the pot to the bench. I attached a piece of copper wire through the drain hole at the bottom of the pot and wired the trunk to it IMG_0349.jpegIMG_0350.jpegIMG_0351.jpegIMG_0352.jpeg

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Then I bent the trunk over a few week period. Last two pictures are today. I think it should be bent more - what do you think?View attachment 527794View attachment 527795View attachment 527796View attachment 527797View attachment 527798View attachment 527799View attachment 527800
You’re on a path! Give it time . I’d actually transfer to the open ground. Build up a mound such to allow the trunk line decention.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would not bend it further at that point. You run the risk of having a very sharp bend followed by a long straight section of trunk.

Also, in the future, another way to approach a big bend like this would be remove a wedge from the underside of the trunk, so that you can bend the trunk so it closes that wedge. If you are careful, you can get it to close and heal without splitting the bark on the upper side of the trunk (if that makes sense).

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I would not bend it further at that point. You run the risk of having a very sharp bend followed by a long straight section of trunk.

Also, in the future, another way to approach a big bend like this would be remove a wedge from the underside of the trunk, so that you can bend the trunk so it closes that wedge. If you are careful, you can get it to close and heal without splitting the bark on the upper side of the trunk (if that makes sense).
I agree. I would have gone the jack route with less of a bend, but that's me...

Top Bottom