Black Locust Yamadori?

Attmos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ran into this poor guy the other day. I believe it's a Black Locust but I'm not 100%. I see them all the time in wet areas, in groves. They look like a weed tree but again... I just don't know.

So I was wondering if they make good bonsai, and if this poor guy is worth digging up.IMG_3734.JPGIMG_3739.JPG

Well, it's definitely not a locust, as it would have compound leaves. I can't see the leaves exceptionally well, but it almost looks like there are three on the end of the stems. Leaves of three, leave them be...

There is a thread where someone was trying a poison ivy bonsai, though...

Well, it's definitely not a locust, as it would have compound leaves. I can't see the leaves exceptionally well, but it almost looks like there are three on the end of the stems. Leaves of three, leave them be...
It's not an Ivy. Here's a better picture of the leaves. All the leaves you see near the ground are from small shoots. 1722622998945.jpeg

Not necessarily, I'd much rather have a good trunk on a honeysuckle instead of a black locust. Honeysuckle can make good bonsai.
I like the fact that the tree has been ripped half way out of the ground. That's how I'd pot it.

Ok, you're right, definitely not ivy.
@Cmd5235 is right; I've seen some pretty spectacular honeysuckle bonsai. Go for it - in season!

Also, the locusts are in the legume family. Many legumes do not tolerate root work well. This is why you won't find beans or peas for sale in a pot at garden centers; only seeds.
I have a honey locust, 3 years old from seed, but itcwas planted before I learned this. But I'm still going to try. I'm bending the trunk now, and will try repotting this winter.

Also, the locusts are in the legume family. Many legumes do not tolerate root work well. This is why you won't find beans or peas for sale in a pot at garden centers; only seeds.
I have a honey locust, 3 years old from seed, but itcwas planted before I learned this. But I'm still going to try. I'm bending the trunk now, and will try repotting this winter.
Nice! I actually was able to root a Honey Locust this year though I haven't seen any development on top yet.

I say Why Not!? It's good practice if nothing else.

Have you posted anything on it?

From what I've learned, late winter or early spring, whenever the buds start swelling is the best time.

Haven't posted anything yet. I think I'll just make 1 thread to document all my trees...
...maybe.

Back
Top Bottom