Black Fungus Where Chops Were Made

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all, I recently acquired a Trident Maple that had a couple large branches chopped, and it's been developing a sort of black, circular fungus on the spots where the chops were made.

Does anyone know if this poses a threat to my tree?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 36

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Usually after you make medium to large cuts to branches, you use a cut paste to avoid infections and help the healing process.
You should disinfect the cut, let it dry and then apply the paste.
I cannot tell you the best way to disinfect (fungicide? alcohol? but this is an open cut...). Someone else here, more expert than me, will help you for sure.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Usually after you make medium to large cuts to branches, you use a cut paste to avoid infections and help the healing process.
You should disinfect the cut, let it dry and then apply the paste.
I cannot tell you the best way to disinfect (fungicide? alcohol? but this is an open cut...). Someone else here, more expert than me, will help you for sure.
You're absolutely right. This is how I received the tree when it was shipped to me, but I still should've added cut paste when I got it.

I already have a mix of 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water. I'll use that with a q-tip to disinfect and then apply cut paste. Thanks!

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That’s just simple mildew on the dead, dried out wood. It poses no threat to your tree.
I would however, cutback the dead work to live wood and make it very clean and flush. Add cut paste. This will both protect and speed healing to this location and creates a pleasing, improved cosmetic callus to this potion of the tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harmless mildew. I would treat as Dalsom said. I would also look into conditions that fostered its growth. Could be the tree is being kept too wet...

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Harmless mildew. I would treat as Dalsom said. I would also look into conditions that fostered its growth. Could be the tree is being kept too wet...
We have had a lot of rain, as of late. It's been sitting pretty wet. I applied rubbing alcohol, and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. I then let it dry and covered it with cut paste.

I wonder if cutting back and reapplying the cut paste would be a better move.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s just simple mildew on the dead, dried out wood. It poses no threat to your tree.
I would however, cutback the dead work to live wood and make it very clean and flush. Add cut paste. This will both protect and speed healing to this location and creates a pleasing, improved cosmetic callus to this potion of the tree.
Hmm, I wouldn't have thought to do that. I already applied rubbing alcohol and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. I then covered the wounds with cut paste.

Do you think I should cut back and then reapply the cut paste, instead?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have had a lot of rain, as of late. It's been sitting pretty wet. I applied rubbing alcohol, and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. I then let it dry and covered it with cut paste.

I wonder if cutting back and reapplying the cut paste would be a better move.
It's not worth the trouble and added damage to the roots (newly growing roots are fragile and the friction and movement caused by sawing could break some or a lot of them at this point)

FWIW, this is simple mildew. Stuff like this and other minor annoyances (aphids, etc.) are part of growing stuff. Don't fret about things too much. The application of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide were nice, but not all that necessary.

Top Bottom