Big Taxus

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This yew was dug from a hedge in May 2020. There were 3 others but I did not have the option of taking care of them and they perished in a field.
It was originally growing in clay, then when I got it it went into the ground in my garden. I put black flower soil around the root(stump)s.
As you can see the branches died back some. I removed bark from dead parts to get a better feel of whats going on.
First time Im dealing with live-veins.
A couple months ago I put it into this pot, mostly in flower soil cause thats what I had lying around. In hindsight I would choose better draining mix.
Cuts that were made:
-initial with chainsaw, turning it from hedge to a plant you have a chance transporting
-selected obviously bad branches and removed them
-where several twigs came from the same place, removed all but one

The roots underneath are the size of the branches but closer together and have highly compacted clay soil in between. Its bloody heavy.

779_1.jpg

Best main trunk:
78hd_1.jpg
Other main trunk:
kjg_1.jpg
Branches on soil level are rooted and alive:
4d_1.jpg
55551.jpg
6gjk_1.jpg
Probably the only white root ive ever seen on this tree:
7fdgd_1.jpg

Ive never seen the real nebari because I cant afford to cut away any fine surface roots.

Ill probably repot again next year into inorganic soil to avoid grubs and have healthier roots.

The reason I havent done real wiring is because I dont know what exactly Ill use as primary structure

This yew was dug from a hedge in May 2020. There were 3 others but I did not have the option of taking care of them and they perished in a field.
It was originally growing in clay, then when I got it it went into the ground in my garden. I put black flower soil around the root(stump)s.
As you can see the branches died back some. I removed bark from dead parts to get a better feel of whats going on.
First time Im dealing with live-veins.
A couple months ago I put it into this pot, mostly in flower soil cause thats what I had lying around. In hindsight I would choose better draining mix.
Cuts that were made:
-initial with chainsaw, turning it from hedge to a plant you have a chance transporting
-selected obviously bad branches and removed them
-where several twigs came from the same place, removed all but one

The roots underneath are the size of the branches but closer together and have highly compacted clay soil in between. Its bloody heavy.

View attachment 392949

Best main trunk:
View attachment 392950
Other main trunk:
View attachment 392951
Branches on soil level are rooted and alive:
View attachment 392952
View attachment 392953
View attachment 392954
Probably the only white root ive ever seen on this tree:
View attachment 392955

Ive never seen the real nebari because I cant afford to cut away any fine surface roots.

Ill probably repot again next year into inorganic soil to avoid grubs and have healthier roots.

The reason I havent done real wiring is because I dont know what exactly Ill use as primary structure
That is quite the tree. I’m ignorant to yew cultivation, but there is quite a lot of info out there. With proper care, timing and artistic eye this should be a great tree!

I have not developed a good artistic eye yet but Ive been inspired by Graham Potter to collect stumps like this

@leatherback has a multi trunk urban dori yew. I’d imagine getting info from him, being in Germany also and all, would be a great idea. @Arnold_K has some pretty spectacular yews also.

That is some nice material! Lots of possibilities. I also have trouble envisioning what to do with something like this. Using your first photo I can imagine a lower foliage mass/apex on the right trunk and one a bit higher on the left. But that left trunk looks kind of straight so maybe it would be sacrificed and carved, with the entire foliage mass then developed from the right trunk?

I'd probably take this to a workshop to get some other in-person opinions from more experienced people.

thats a good trun you have. if you get tired of watering it, let me know.

I prefer to get trees established in good substrate. styling and then loosing it on the transfer is not great. How much extension did you get this year on the branches?

thats a good trun you have. if you get tired of watering it, let me know.

I prefer to get trees established in good substrate. styling and then loosing it on the transfer is not great. How much extension did you get this year on the branches?
Weve had a wet summer and with the soil its in I had to water it maybe 5 times total
I would guess 20cm of growth, on a few branches more. Seemed fine in that regard

I've a similar project going on too. I need to update the thread. I'll be following your progress. Happy growing:)

Amazing! Did it survive the winter?
Yes it's alive, it's pushing buds right now and I took off a fair bit of foliage, hopefully not too much. I think most of the live veins are established now, sometimes I chip off some bark from the dead areas. Looks mostly the same overall.

Yes it's alive, it's pushing buds right now and I took off a fair bit of foliage, hopefully not too much. I think most of the live veins are established now, sometimes I chip off some bark from the dead areas. Looks mostly the same overall.
I've been looking toward to a picture update.

Back
Top Bottom