Big purchase of 2017

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ginkgo! The weirdos of trees :p. Or is it deciduous broad leaf conifer?

The other day I just happened to type "bonsai" on craigslist just for the hell of it. And came across an ad of a guy wanting to thin out his collection to make room for more o_O?! Among other trees, he has this Ginkgo. Looks pretty nice in the pics and allegedly was once owned and developed by Chase Rosade (owner of Rosade Bonsai Studio) for 30 years. Anyways, the fact that I've been wanting a Ginkgo since I started this bonsai thing 2 seasons ago, I need to have this!

Made an appointment to pick it up yesterday and he has quite a collection of pre-bonsai and newly collected materials. Some are for sale, others not in a million years. I will have to make another visit come spring, hint hint @CWTurner :).

Here are some photos when it got home :). It stand about 12" from soil to trunk chop. Nebari 4", but add that front rootage stretch makes it 6". Trunk at first branch 3". I'm liking the structure and probably steering away from the flame style.
Ginkgo1.jpg Ginkgo2.jpg Ginkgo3.jpg Ginkgo4.jpg

Is the reason this branch was cut because it might create a big bulge/inverse taper in the future? You can see it in the first pic under the first branch. And two buds ready to pop comes next year. Should I rub them off.
Ginkgo5.jpg

This is from his ad over a month ago so I missed the show. Can't wait till next fall!
Ginkgo6.jpg

Now, forget about this. What is your most significant acquisition, purchase or collected, for 2017? Photo(s) along with a brief detail would be nice!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Damn dude, all but one? Well done!

Although I would kindly disagree and say your kiln is your 2017 epic acquisition.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's an awesome find! You definitely need to post pictures next fall. I still need to find one of those.

My most significant acquisition of 2017 is this Brazilian Rain Tree that I got at a club auction. I'd been looking for one for quite some time, as well as for more of a "finished", or refined tree since most of my other ones are pre-bonsai. As soon as I saw this one, I knew I had to have it. Luckily I had just sold an old drum set so I had some extra cash to spend. It's been doing great! Just pruned back into shape yesterday.

Attachments

• 20171202_132615.jpg
    20171202_132615.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 20171202_145221.jpg
    20171202_145221.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 182

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey I'm in the same boat. All I bought this year was those end of year sales. Got some crabapples for $6.50ea. And cheap azaleas plus some conifers. All for practice growing of course. This and my Yew are the only ones that are further along.

That's a lovely tree Rodrigo. Reminds me of a large tree in a forest. What's the size and specs?

I should have titled this thread to "biggest acquisition of 2017". Not just purchased but dug or free.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey I'm in the same boat. All I bought this year was those end of year sales. Got some crabapples for $6.50ea. And cheap azaleas plus some conifers. All for practice growing of course. This and my Yew are the only ones that are further along.

That's a lovely tree Rodrigo. Reminds me of a large tree in a forest. What's the size and specs?

I should have titled this thread to "biggest acquisition of 2017". Not just purchased but dug or free.
I've been wanting a crabapple as well! Sounds like you're all set for practice material!

Thank you, I thought so too. It's about 16" tall from the base of the trunk to the tip and about 20" at its widest at the canopy. I'd like to thicken the trunk some as well as the first branch (if you zoom in to the left on the second picture, you'll see I wired a shoot vertically to help thicken the first branch) but for now, I'm just letting it grow and cutting back after about 6 or 7 leaves.

It reminded me of a forest tree too, or a prehistoric tree in Jurassic Park or something.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
last year
2016? You lose on a technicality :p. I really need more conifers in my collection.

I've only ever purchased one bonsai. Sort of sorry that I did.
Ebay? Way overpriced on the better stuff IMO. What kinda tree was it?

Hey Craig. F......U.....!:p Always getting them free Azaleas; and this one is a beauty!

How's my Bird Eater Azalea?:D

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2016? You lose on a technicality :p. I really need more conifers in my collection.

Ebay? Way overpriced on the better stuff IMO. What kinda tree was it?

Hey Craig. F......U.....!:p Always getting them free Azaleas; and this one is a beauty!

How's my Bird Eater Azalea?:D
I got them last August 2017

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would like to see some nice crabapples, I am still always looking for the right one.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @JudyB , I did get one tree this year, a little crabby!!:cool: Not quite the level of material you've been acquiring, but I think it will be a fun little project!:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Wiring a little wonky from the nursery, and pruned a little early by my schedule so the growth this year was a little haphazard.

DSC02018.JPG

DSC02019.JPG

DSC02020.JPG

Used to have cash on hand for bigger purchases.....until......

DSC02046.JPG

The Boots? What can I say, Daddy like him some Rick James and George Clinton!!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey @M. Frary ya' think these boot's are fly enough for Uncle Kevin?;):rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I, uh, bought too many this year. But you gotta get ‘em when tbey’re available. This one, I suppose is the biggest:

The front:

D695A501-6845-42BC-AE20-591BE392D5DE.jpeg

The back:
AD4ACA05-93CF-426C-9CD3-75AEC876CC8B.jpeg

We put on 5 new grafts of Kishu.

Got a long way to go before I have to worry about this, but there’s two ways to go:

Key branch on the side with the slant:

C57C338C-76B7-4F0F-924B-AEC1445D4D19.jpeg

Or key branch going against the slant:

EBBFF586-5611-4944-9994-58FC13A85C42.jpeg

I’m glad I don’t have to decide any time soon!

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Larger trunked-medium sized Hinoki Cypress, these have really caught my eye of late and after working with a local hinoki expert, I ran out and picked up this gem, I only wished I grabbed a before picture. I pruned back heavily to redirect energy to the interior growth in late spring so this growth would not fall off in the fall as is typical of hinoki's. Seems to have worked as minimal foliage was lost this fall. In the spring I will repot and thin out some more of the exterior foliage.

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 132

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would have to say my Chi-Chi Ginkgo. The Chinese quince came as well. But...the Ginkgo with fall color fading fast and texture...love this tree! Though...the quince was a bit more $$$ if I am not mistaken.

Love the texture of that bark...And the movement found there in its main trunk.
image.jpg

Grew crazy...needs cut back hard.
image.jpg

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It has been a quiet year for me but I will play along. As far as trees go, I haven't acquired much but I am excited to work with a boxwood that I collected this year.

On the other hand, we bought a house so that's been a pretty nice acquisition after living in a shed for a year.

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_154854.jpg
    IMG_20170729_154854.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20170624_101033.jpg
    IMG_20170624_101033.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 119

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It has been a quiet year for me but I will play along. As far as trees go, I haven't acquired much but I am excited to work with a boxwood that I collected this year.

On the other hand, we bought a house so that's been a pretty nice acquisition after living in a shed for a year.
Dude! Congrats on the NEW HOME!!! Very nice indeed.

Top Bottom