Big purchase of 2017

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
20170620_152628.jpg 20170627_184542.jpg I picked up this black dragon cryptomeria on the fire sale rack for $50, mites almost took it out, we'll see how it does through the winter, hopefully repot late spring

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This was my ‘17 buy; a Satsuki Azalea, Kinsai. The only Satsuki cultivar I’ve really ever chased, and it’s taken me close to 10 years to find one I liked enough to pull the trigger on. I was warned by Peter Warren to never buy one out of flower, because they can revert to the fuller petal, and they never go back to the thin strappy petal. I received it with 4 blooms still on it, so I am eager to see it in full bloom next year. It’s 20” tall and in a large (for him) 9” round Bunzan pot.
AB19AD10-CA94-4F20-B35C-541080C58AA9.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This was my ‘17 buy; a Satsuki Azalea, Kinsai. The only Satsuki cultivar I’ve really ever chased, and it’s taken me close to 10 years to find one I liked enough to pull the trigger on. I was warned by Peter Warren to never buy one out of flower, because they can revert to the fuller petal, and they never go back to the thin strappy petal. I received it with 4 blooms still on it, so I am eager to see it in full bloom next year. It’s 20” tall and in a large (for him) 9” round Bunzan pot.
View attachment 170166
I don't understand the significance of acquiring the tree in bloom...is it due to the fact that it needs a certain amount of time in its new home, to acclimate...or else the petals may revert??

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My biggest purchase for '17 is a relatively small pot. I wanted to drop the dough for a bigger one of these, but couldn't gather the courage. I think it's still a great starter pot for me from Haruyoshi. I love a good painted pot and I'm a fan this potter.

IMG_20170927_112619.jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 170166
So awesome!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't understand the significance of acquiring the tree in bloom...is it due to the fact that it needs a certain amount of time in its new home, to acclimate...or else the petals may revert??
No, it’s because Kinsai is a hybrid, and branches’ flowers can revert to the “mother’s flower”. This is like a “sport” that appears on a tree, is undetectable out of bloom, and is irreversible. These flowers are lighter in color, and have rounded petals. If the entire tree is full of branches with these flowers, it won’t have the characteristics for which a Kinsai is prized. Look at this example from a quick search:
593A7A41-A1BB-4673-9920-D3F0AA556B41.jpeg
See how it has 2 types of flowers? Branches with the desirable thin flowers can start producing these fat flowers, and once a branch produces fat flowers, it will never again produce thin ones. Kogetsu is a variety which has white, red, and white and red flowers; once a shoot begins producing solid red flowers, it will never again produce white ones. Part of the cultivation challenge is to keep the tree producing white and white with red flowers, and balance the tree’s tendency to produce solid red ones.

The best Kinsai don’t have any of the larger-petal flowers. In terms of flower quality, the Kinsai below is a better flower display...although as bonsai alone, the tree above would be more tempting when not in flower. Who knows what branches you’d have to remove to eliminate the fat flowers, but talk about a design challenge!
132B6478-D03D-492B-A816-929D99EB0832.jpeg

kyle8734

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This Ficus Salicaria and Bougainvillea were the biggest things I bought this year, both need a lot of work but should be fun to develop

Attachments

• 15126218190271352155363.jpg
    15126218190271352155363.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 1512622316861-1233756004.jpg
    1512622316861-1233756004.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 1512622487414-1222240159.jpg
    1512622487414-1222240159.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 42

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No, it’s because Kinsai is a hybrid, and branches’ flowers can revert to the “mother’s flower”. This is like a “sport” that appears on a tree, is undetectable out of bloom, and is irreversible. These flowers are lighter in color, and have rounded petals. If the entire tree is full of branches with these flowers, it won’t have the characteristics for which a Kinsai is prized. Look at this example from a quick search:
View attachment 170221
See how it has 2 types of flowers? Branches with the desirable thin flowers can start producing these fat flowers, and once a branch produces fat flowers, it will never again produce thin ones. Kogetsu is a variety which has white, red, and white and red flowers; once a shoot begins producing solid red flowers, it will never again produce white ones. Part of the cultivation challenge is to keep the tree producing white and white with red flowers, and balance the tree’s tendency to produce solid red ones.

The best Kinsai don’t have any of the larger-petal flowers. In terms of flower quality, the Kinsai below is a better flower display...although as bonsai alone, the tree above would be more tempting when not in flower. Who knows what branches you’d have to remove to eliminate the fat flowers, but talk about a design challenge!
View attachment 170224
Wow! that's wild! Cool thanks!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Significant in that it is my first elm and acquired in january this year. Hokkaido Elm Growth was pretty good despite the transition from california to vancouver island in january. First is fall just before leaves drop. Second after defoliation and light trim. I wish to grow out some secondary and tertiary branches for thickness. Somewhat of a focus on overall health this year after the transition last year. Wanted to leave the tree stronger for the more pronounced dormancy. Will do some further thinning later.
Really interesting looking tree. Do you have a plan where you are going with the design?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 170161 View attachment 170162 I picked up this black dragon cryptomeria on the fire sale rack for $50, mites almost took it out, we'll see how it does through the winter, hopefully repot late spring
Nice base with gentle movement for an informal upright. You can enjoy thinking of the possibility of location for new apex and how the nebari fit into choosing the front.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really interesting looking tree. Do you have a plan where you are going with the design?
Yes, i am working to create more depth to the current shape. Currently it is a bit too developed side to side and not balanced front to back with foliage.
Secondly, i wish to improve the branch refinement. For my taste the branches thin down too quickly and their are too many. And i think the apex should be slightly left. When i purchased the tree it had very few branches and had been basically been cut back to the basic frame to start over. This past year was focussed on getting it healthy and trying to fill out the skeleton sort of. Initially i removed quite a bit of debris between the two trunks and around the base. The tree came from a hobbyist with serious health concerns and had been let go. In reality, i will adapt my plan to what the tree gives me over time.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice base with gentle movement for an informal upright. You can enjoy thinking of the possibility of location for new apex and how the nebari fit into choosing the front.
Thanks, after I get it in a training pot I'll likely start a post for further guidance.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Brian Van Fleet ... Stunning material!!! Interesting about the blooms. I had a miniature flowering landscape shrub revert back to the mother flower. Boggles my mind what creates that change over. It had tiny blooms when I purchased it. Would assume a controlled pot would be beneficial...to keeping blooms so thin in your case. Good luck with it...its stunning!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom