TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
Here’s a tree I collected from a neighbors yard who was going to have it chopped down. It was initially about a 15/20 foot tree , I went out in late December 2021 ( not ideal time but it survived!) and dug it up- it was a decent amount of work to get it out and boxed up. Here are some progress pics so far. I’ve let it run wild for the most part. I finally put some wire and guy wires to set some branches in place a few days ago and finally got an idea where I want to go with it. Still needs some root work, I’d like to do some carving on the roots/ nebari to create some hollows. I need to build a smaller box for it this spring and reduce the roots. Maybe sometime in the future I’d like to do some root grafting as well to create a more even root spread to it. Still have a while to go but there is some progress
1st pic: April 2022
IMG_9733.jpeg

2nd pic May 2022:
IMG_0027.jpeg

3rd Pic November 2023:
IMG_9032.jpeg

Maybe top off the box to get a little bit more soil in there and cover those roots. Some roots might start growing if they’re covered a touch more.
Looks like a good project!

Nice score of a free bloodgood, should be a fun project.

Huge! This is a beast! First section done! That puts you 15 or 20 years ahead for an awesome tree! Looks like your doing the right stuff. Keep it up! The training pot you have it in would be about right for the pot size, but I get it. There is only so big you can go and still handle it. Let that leader and those branches and sacrificials grow.

Back
Top Bottom