Best Tropical Soil?

vdeschamps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi there,

I am to report a ginsenging ficus I got a month ago. I must say, I am lazy and I will buy already made soil rather than making my own.

I have a few questions:

1) How many quarts of soil do I need for a 7" round x 3.5" high pot?

2) do I need to buy pebbles to put at the bottom of the pot? Some of the bonsai soils I found are made of sand...I was wondering if one cancels out the other?

3) what brands/vendors do you guys recommend?

Many thanks in advance,
Vincent

I'd estimate you'd need a little more than a quart, but its just a rough estimate. You can get various soil mixes on the Dallas Bonsai website, which I think there is a tropical specific soil.

I think in the long run it would be better and more economical to mix your own soil, but I understand the convenience, especially if you only have a couple of trees. My indoor tropicals are almost all in completely inorganic soil, but I plan on adding pine bark to the mx when I put them outside in the late spring.

I don't bother with a larger particle sized drainage layer. From what I've read the larger particles actually create a larger perched water table then small particles.

They have a pre-made tropical mix at merryfield garden center that works pretty well. I thought it was a little heavy on the organics, but it has worked fine for my braided ficus house plant / mother tree even withstanding a couple weeks of solid rain the summer before last.

I'd estimate you'd need a little more than a quart, but its just a rough estimate. You can get various soil mixes on the Dallas Bonsai website, which I think there is a tropical specific soil.

I think in the long run it would be better and more economical to mix your own soil, but I understand the convenience, especially if you only have a couple of trees. My indoor tropicals are almost all in completely inorganic soil, but I plan on adding pine bark to the mx when I put them outside in the late spring.

I don't bother with a larger particle sized drainage layer. From what I've read the larger particles actually create a larger perched water table then small particles.

Thanks for the info!

So...I do not need to add an additional layer of small pebbles at the bottom, correct? Just throw the already made soil in?

I use (for all my trees) and sell a 1/3 pine bark fines 1/3 turface and 1/3 miniature lava rock.

I wouldn't worry about getting any extra rock at the bottom of the pot for a ficus. They typically need watered everyday so that extra drainage isn't necessary.

Yep, the bagged stuff they sell at Merrifield (while extremely pricey) comes from Meehans Miniatures in Maryland. Great soil.

Yep, the bagged stuff they sell at Merrifield (while extremely pricey) comes from Meehans Miniatures in Maryland. Great soil.

That's good to know!

I just saw your post and ordered Fujiyama all-around bonsai soil from Dallas Bonsai.

I will let you know how my experience goes, as soon as I receive the soil and the pot I ordered on eBay.

Hi there,

I am to report a ginsenging ficus I got a month ago. I must say, I am lazy and I will buy already made soil rather than making my own.

I have a few questions:

1) How many quarts of soil do I need for a 7" round x 3.5" high pot?

2) do I need to buy pebbles to put at the bottom of the pot? Some of the bonsai soils I found are made of sand...I was wondering if one cancels out the other?

3) what brands/vendors do you guys recommend?

Many thanks in advance,
Vincent
My friends share me a simple techniques for making choice of soil, this time I am using this simple process. But in this matter I am going to have some further explanation about the process, though I have my little details about this but I need also, some clarification.

Back
Top Bottom