Best time for major pruning of Pines

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have a Dward Scot Pine and some of its branches are not required in the final design. Possibly it can make a little bit of dead wood in design.

I have to remove a big branch that is not required in the final design. Will the tree make up for the loss of the branch by throwing more growth in the weaker branches on the tree? The main branch has some weak branches emerging from the lower part of the trunk and they are not so strong/vigorous. I hope that the pruning will induce the plant to encourage these weak branches.

What's the best time to prune the large branch?

I would imagine sometime now since the needles have all opened up and are hardening now. So it is the middle of the annual growth cycle and likely the plant will try to make up for the loss of a branch by invigorating the weaker branches.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Will the tree make up for the loss of the branch by throwing more growth in the weaker branches on the tree? The main branch has some weak branches emerging from the lower part of the trunk and they are not so strong/vigorous. I hope that the pruning will induce the plant to encourage these weak branches.
Generally, after removing a strong branch the resources the tree was sending to that branch will be redirected to other branches and shoots nearby so the answer is yes, usually other branches will grow better after a strong branch/shoot or any nearby shoot is removed.
What's the best time to prune the large branch?
When you have the cutters, the need and the confidence. There are some who say pines 'bleed' when chopped in spring but I have not experienced that here so I prune any time of year.

Back
Top Bottom