Best red Japanese Maple

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

I'm looking for a red maple for my collection.
Ideally, the best color in spring AND autumn, the longest lasting color and the best characteristics for building a bonsai.

I could use some help from the Maple experts here.

I was thinking Chishio, Seigen or Deshojo.
I think these are the most used in bonsai?

Brian said Chishio is slow and he wouldn't buy it again. With that info Chishio is out.

Then I found this old thread where MACH5, Bill V., Adair M. and others said that Seigen is notorious for poor autumn colors.

Also Seigen is 10 times as expensive as Deshojo where I live.
10 times as expensive and poor autumn colors sounds like a bad deal...

Is Deshojo the clear winner?
What are the drawbacks of Deshojo?

Are there even better cultivars that I have not mentioned?

Thank you

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
shindeshojo should have better colors
Thank you.
@leatherback do you know a source for this one in The Netherlands / Europe / Germany?
Doesn't need to be a tree, cutting is fine.

A quick search with google:
Nothing at bonsaiplaza, bonsaischule, ...

More difficult to find than Deshojo it seems.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you.
@leatherback do you know a source for this one in The Netherlands / Europe / Germany?

No idea. It could also be that this is one of those "lets pop on a new name" situations, where all the new deshojos are actually just deshojo, but properly propagated through cuttings, rather than a seedling bloodline. I am not sure about mine; I was after a larger deshojo a few years ago. I am not sure whether the seller told me that it was a shindeshojo. I have a japanese import deshojo too, and cannot really see any differences.

Now when it comes to color, growing conditions do have a big effect too. It could be that you are chasing after a specific variety, whereas your growing conditions might be more important.

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you.

Esveld in Boskoop had a lot of Japanese maples, I think that's your best bet.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When I saw (red) I immediately thought of home shojo, but then you listed the red and changing varieties. I would have to say Shindeshojo is my favorite. It seems to me a bit more vigorous and less prone to health issues at least for me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My in-ground Arakawa (rough bark) JM reliably has extremely vivid red and orange fall colors. I believe this variety as bonsai retains those intense reds. @MACH5 has one that is spectacular if I remember right.

arakawa1.jpgarakawa2.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The challenge with true red leaf Japanese maples is that they are weaker. So more care and patience is needed to build them as a bonsai. Deshojo being a very popular one since they can produce good autumn color. But again they are not as vigorous so more time will be needed to make a bonsai of good caliber out of them. Bill V. has some exceptional Deshojos. Apart from his skills, he has been growing them for the better part of 60 years and counting.

I have Seigen and it is stunning in spring but usually very poor fall coloration.

My Arakawa is a bit of an anomaly. It is red in the spring while most are green with a tinge of red. If you must stick with a red leaf Acer palmatum I might go with deshojo all things considered.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depending on how strict your interpretation of the common name, Japanese maple, this may or may not fit. It’s not a palmatum but is a maple native to Asia, including Japan, I believe. Acer ginnala (Amur maple) has reliably extraordinary red fall foliage. It always puts on a fireworks show in the fall and outshines anything else on my benches.

Contact

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I agree with all said tilli now, I've a deshojo, a chisio improved, a shindeshojo in my collection but with not all of these I'm lucky with autumn colors (clearly this depend by the cultivation too). You have to consider some other cultivar too that maintain a good tone of red during all the season, for example Shaina or Pixie or skeeters broom...these are dwarf Maples that I'm trying as bonsai. Simply other options ...

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My grasshopper thoughts are it feels like placement has a part, how much sun and what time of the day.

Top Bottom