Best greenhouse thermometer?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I currently have a Govee, but I feel like its reports are sporadic and not reliable. I have large periods of time where no temperature is reported at all.

I'm curious to know if folks have any better options - thanks!

I use Sensorpush (many sensors), with Pushover app for notifications if temp gets outside my range

I also use backup thermometers that track high and low temp over a period of 24 hours so i can always double-check if my sensorpush sensors are acceptably calibrated

Strong wifi helps a lot. I have a router in my greenhouse.

Awesome, I’ll take a look! Yeah, WiFi might be tough but I may be setting up a mesh network soon so that may become viable. Bluetooth may just be spotty for this.

I got some cheap ones from Amazon and they kinda worked, but then had sensor glitched and I let their batteries run dry. They are just hanging there still but I haven't really used them.
So make sure you get ones that are reliable. Because they aren't fool-proof.

I've had several Govee sensors. The older minis (the ones with just the sensor that connect to the app) tend to be a bit finicky and they previously only update via bluetooth so you'd have to be pretty close to them to get an up-to-date readout of the temps & humidity in the app. I switched over a year or so ago to the Indoor/Outdoor combination Govee and this has been much more reliable as the monitor seems to form a relay with the sensor and gives it a bit more range when I'm in the house to get updated reading on the app. It's fine for my current use although I'd probably opt for the wifi ones instead of bluetooth next time simply due to the range limitations of bluetooth.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 5
I've had several Govee sensors. The older minis (the ones with just the sensor that connect to the app) tend to be a bit finicky and they previously only update via bluetooth so you'd have to be pretty close to them to get an up-to-date readout of the temps & humidity in the app. I switched over a year or so ago to the Indoor/Outdoor combination Govee and this has been much more reliable as the monitor seems to form a relay with the sensor and gives it a bit more range when I'm in the house to get updated reading on the app. It's fine for my current use although I'd probably opt for the wifi ones instead of bluetooth next time simply due to the range limitations of bluetooth.

The older mini is exactly what I have, will take a look at the indoor/outdoor combo but I think you're right about Wifi being the best bet / what I will likely pursue.

I currently have a Govee, but I feel like its reports are sporadic and not reliable. I have large periods of time where no temperature is reported at all.

Are have three govvees… never missed a bet in two years. Two are about 40’ away on different sides of the yard. Receiver placement is key

Best
DSD sends

From what I can tell, none of the Govee thermo-hygrometers are marketed as being for outdoor use. I use the H5100 mini outside alongside the H5151 hub, and it’s good, but since it’s current position is exposed to rain, it can sometimes spike in humidity for a while after it rains. At some point, I’ll look into a physical solution to this, but it’s been challenging to isolate from the rain without also making the readings less useful.

Temperature has always been spot on, once calibrated, however.

These are the Govees we use. One outside by the house on a shelf. Other two in greenhouses.

Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, Indoor Smart Humidity Temperature Sensor with App Notification Alert, 2 Years Free Data Storage Export, Remote Monitor for Home Greenhouse Basement Pets https://a.co/d/0qVTUFi

Best
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom